The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Odd turbo identification

GreenGSX

I have the FP3052 turbo off the car and a friend of mine has what he thinks is a 50-trim BB turbo he wants to sell. I currently have a L1R turbo that's ready to bolt on and go but I picked up the new turbo and I am debating which one to run at the Glen this weekend. In his 96 Eclipse the car/turbo did 11.8 @118 mph. My L1R would really have to work to get to those types of trap speeds. Here is where it gets interesting. I have a blown up 50-trim center cartridge on the shelf and when I compared it to the new turbo it wasn't even close. The new turbo has the Garrett GT style turbine wheel and an odd 7-blade compressor. The cartridge is tagged 700177-10 which I think is the GT10 "aka slowboy GT10" cartridge in the GT30 family of turbos. I haven't measured the wheels but the turbine/compressor wheels are right between the FP3052 and L1R in size. The turbo uses a Mitsubishi exhaust housing with a ring welded in place of the v-band lip.

I think its a prototype turbo from Scott Balecastro at Victory Performance. Old school stuff. Anybody know what this is?

Last edited:

curtis

Not sure what it is but old and ball bearing isn't always a good thing. Check the shaft play close because the ball bearings aren't good candidates for rebuild usually...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned