The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo help gt30/fpGreen/50trim

Brianawd

I just read all for parts on tuners and all I see is people not making the power they want on the hx35. So they go to the hx35/40,still not what they wanted to it hx40time. Oh guess what still not what they are looking for. Now what? Well its hx52time. Some on posted a vid of a car with a hx52 at 26psi on a fwd dyno that only made 530fwhp. Sorry but that is gay.
You say the FP stuff is to much. Well just think how much money you will have after you keep swapping out holset turbos for bigger holset turbos. What I have learned over the years is to go with what has been proven to work time and time again. FP,full gerrett. Those are the two most used names out there.
Don't get me wrong. I think that holset is a great turbo. Hell I play with them every day at work. I just don't think they work well for are application. But if you still really want to run one. Then best of luck to you.

PreskitVR4

Loved my GT-35, garrett, ball bearing, choked down it spools well. All out with a big housing it pushes 65 lbs/min near 600 wheel. My 3071 Garret fully pissed only eeks out 440, but spools like a 16G. my thoughts...

cheekychimp

I'm loathe to say too much at this stage because my Holset still isn't on and I want some real life data to publish when I've done this to hopefully help settle the speculation that has been going on for what seems like forever.

I think one issue though is that track times are used as a benchmark. If you look at Holsets with the BEP housings it seems obvious to me that they are deliberately choked. That to me seems to be the only way to get such a big turbo to spool as quickly as they do. But at the track 400-800 rpms of lag is acceptable to get the higher flow required at 8500-10,500 rpms where really fast cars make power. Speed is also a factor of rpms as well as gearing so making max whp in that rev band is important at the track. On a street car hitting max power at 7000 rpms and having power tail off after that might not really matter.

The other thing about spool up is that I think BB turbos faster spool up is related more to the restrictors that come on them as standard than the BB centre housing. I'm pretty sure Curtis told me that some ran tests using restrictors on journal bearing turbos and the restrictor brought the journal bearing turbo spool time down to within 100-200 rpms of the BB turbo when pre-restrictor it had been about 800 rpms shy.

I think the Holsets offer huge potential as great street turbos, especially on strokers. I have doubts of their potential at the track and that seems to be proven by Brian's posts above.

I'm really interested to know how the HX Pro 40 or Super 40 compares in spool up to the HX 35/40.

chrisb33

well the reason why they're only getting 500fwhp from the holsets is because the car is FWD. make it an AWD and they'd shoot for 600++whp.

And as ive said these holsets are for budget conscious people like me who are for powerful and durable turbo's. As for spool time, yes the hx35 with the BEP housing has been proven to hit 20psi at around 3500ish. Try to send Pm's to those who are posting. sometimes they dont post on the thread what their latest runs are after further fine tuning.

As for durability, i dont think no one can question the holsets. for maintenance and parts. dirt cheap!

I aslo dont have first experience yet with these holsets but i bit the bullet and bought an hx35 and a BEP housing. it's currently on the way to a turbo rebuilder before it gets shipped here in the Philippines.

Once my engine rebuild is done, i will post dyno numbers. Im just aiming for 400fwhp coz i just use the car on the streets not on the track. but on paper, this combo of the hx35 with a 7 blade compressor, mated with the BEP bolt on mitsu housing, is comparable to an FP red at half the price.

Cheeky,

i suggest you go with the straight hx40 and not the hx34/40 combo. The turbine side way outflows your compressor. There's a BEP housing for hx40 also available from BEP directly. It's cast stainless steel as well. or if you want, just use the stock divided housing and run a divided manifold. im not sure if the hx40 is a t4 or t3. but most probably it's a t4.

chris b

bazeng

ummmmm.. I thought that running FWD will increase the power rating on the dyno...
you've got a greater loss of efficiency due to the AWD drivetrain...

ie. FWD 500hp, AWD 450hp, RWD 475hp.... (just an example)

I have a GT3082r, I'm making about 450hp at the wheels on pump
550hp on race gas... stock intake manifold ( we would have made more with the JMF)..

The GT30 spools like a small turbo on the 2.3L stroker...
Hasn't failed me yet!

This is a joke, right? There's no good times on a certain website? Wow.

Just because you may not understand how a turbo can flow more and yet still spool faster means nothing. For the longest time many thought the sun rotated around the earth. Made sense. But so does the science that disproves it. Garrett spent their money on a bandaid for the poor spool of a larger frame turbo called ballistic technology. Holset and Borg-Warner actually attacked the problem called efficiency, fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. A more efficient compressor takes less energy to reach a certain boost. Why? because less energy is wasted to heat (adaibatic process). This is one reason why preturbo water injection speeds spool. Work of the turbine = work of the compressor = Specific heat X Massflow X (Compressor temp out - compressor temp in). For less 'temp out' (higher efficiency), less work needs to be done by the turbine to generate a massflow. Residual mass in the intake tract, or mass that doesn't get into the motor, is boost. It takes less exhaust energy to spin the turbine which spins the compressor to maintain that boost. Since it takes less gases, you can use a smaller motor or you can use the same motor and have that boost come on at lower rpms (less exhaust energy). Same boost at lower rpms is called 'faster spool'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

There is a dynograph of an hx40 in the SMALL bep housing making 653whp. When does it see peak pwer vs. a small BB gt30r? Where does the small BB gt30r have more power than the hx40? how much more? How much power is under the curve? The gt3076r can't hold 40psi to redline. . . A gt35r can't even do that with that particular setup. The HX40 pro did. A gt35r doesn't spool as fast as a gt30r. But a holset hx40 in the bep housing does. There aren't to many gt35r turbos outputting 650+ whp without nitrous. . . none. So it achieved the results the owner wished.

Here is the compressor map of the above turbo (HXsuper40):
Holset-HX25-to-HX83-Compressor-Maps.jpg

The above map, and the airflow rating listed before in the sam document where I got this map, shows 0.52/kg/sec. .52kg/sec X 60sec/min = 31.2kg/min . 31.2kg/min X 2.2046 lb/kg = 69lb/min. A 650whp car needs about 67-68lb/min airflow. Since the airflow is being pushed to the limit of the compressor map, where is the small bep housing choking flow on the super40?

The 8blade hx35 compressor map is here:
78378d1197242946-holset-turbos-part-3-hx35.jpg

Here is a dynograph an 8blade hx35 in the bolton bep housing:
85631d1216771330-holset-hx35-good-buy-bad-buy-dent-sport-garage-dyno-500whp-hx35-bep.jpg

For a 52 lb/min compressor (per the map) to make 494whp means that the bolton housing is not a choke for the turbo and of course the turbo can really do it. So it achieved the results the owner wished.

Here is the timeslip and information about the first bolton 8blade hx35 reaching over 120mph and the 11s. 11.2@126mph. Here's his thread on the subject: New times on the Holset HX-35. 272s, stock head/intake/header, stock tranny, only 28psi, and a granny-shift 1.9sec 60-ft. 2900-3000lb modestly lightened AWD at 126mph is what horsepower? Something close to the bolton 8blade hx35 dynograph above.

The 7blade hx35 compressor map is on the first pic in this post.

Here's the logs of the 7blade hx35. Notice the 453.71g/sec peak. 0.45371kg/sec X 60sec/min = 27.2kg/min. 27.2kg/min X 2.2046lb/kg = 60lb/min. 0.46kg/sec is shown on the map and is stated by holset on the page above where I got the map. So it achieved the results the owner wished.

Logs of MY h1c, same turbine wheel as the the hx35, bolton housing evo3 manifold stock intake manifold, laggy fp2 cams: H1C vs. small 16G. As you can see by the airflow logs, I have an EARLIER powerband with the h1c than the small 16g. This turbo has the same hotside that can flow enough for 500whp, And it has a 54mm inducer compressor that likes high boost. Spools to 20+ psi by 3500rpms and its 54mm inducer 8blade compressor flows a little less than the 56mm inducer 8blade hx35. The 8blade hx35 flows 52lb/min. If the h1c is 54mm in diameter, I can't see it flowing any less than 48lb/min which is 4lb/min less than the 8blade hx35. CONSERVATIVELY, this turbo flows as much as a td06 20g. I've already seen 40lb/min logs. Here is what I paid for the setup. And another member on the dsmlink forums has already seen 42lb/min logs. He doesn't even run water injection yet. Same setup as mine save hks 272s instead of fp2s. He's limited to 22psi so far, because he's running 91octane. You can only see his logs if you have access to the dsmlink forums. This turbo has achieved what the owner wishes: faster spool than an evo3 16g and will soon achieve more flow, over 45 lb/min.

Here's the slip of the hybrid hx35/40 in a full weight 1g awd: TimG runs 11.3@132 mph. It achieved the results the owner wished. And matched up pretty to a FP3065 powered T/E/L with slicks and a better 60-ft.

Here's the calculator everyone uses and proves to be more consistant than dynocharts, according to guys like Curt Brown and Kevin Kwaitkowsky.

The hx35 is NOT a big turbo. It has a 2.2" compressor inducer. The gt30r has a larger inducer and flows about the same, yet spools much slower. And a turbine wheel that is very close to te same size as a t3 stage 3 (t31). How many t3 stage 3 turbines are at 600whp? How many t3 stage 3 wheels can push 500whp and spool to full boost by 3600rpms? The hx40 turbine wheel is VERY close in size to the Ptrim turbine wheel. Good luck getting that turbine wheel to spool under 4600rpms with a turbine housing that will let it flow over 65lb/min. Is someone equating compressor cover size to spool and flow potential?

For having read through the tuners holset threads, you didn't pay much attention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. All this information was in the 3rd or the 4th thread.

Every one lies on the dsmtuners holset threads and says the bolton hx40 turbo spools to 20+psi by 4100rpms with 272s. Everyone lies and says the hx35/h1c spools as fast as a 16g but flows at or more than a 50-trim. We just want out $400 total investment to match up to the big guns no matter the cost. Garrett's not overrated. Nope and neither is FP. I think you will be soon suprised to find out what compressor wheel is actually on the FPHTA88.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisb33

Quoting bazeng:
ummmmm.. I thought that running FWD will increase the power rating on the dyno...
you've got a greater loss of efficiency due to the AWD drivetrain...

ie. FWD 500hp, AWD 450hp, RWD 475hp.... (just an example)

I have a GT3082r, I'm making about 450hp at the wheels on pump
550hp on race gas... stock intake manifold ( we would have made more with the JMF)..

The GT30 spools like a small turbo on the 2.3L stroker...
Hasn't failed me yet!

what i meant was because we/they have fwd, then whp can not be maximized otherwise our cars will be all over the place. Unlike awd's, you can aim for higher whp goals.

chris b

Brianawd

WOW. 4 parts to a thread at 30+ pages each and we have 4 people with #s. Guess I should run right out and pick me up a Holset. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

So what. Same can be said of the 20G 10 years ago. The numbers don't lie. I guess one hx40 pro can do better than another with identical mods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Holset doesn't sell to the tuner vendors. So there's not going to be alot of tuner results. As you can see, the threads have been around but VERY few purchased bep holset housings, or ran them in any form on their dsm. I can count the number of posters who have a holset on my 2 hands, and we have 4 sub-11 second timeslips. No wait 5 including Steve93Talon, Torts tuner for his 20g car (What do statistics tell you?). So few have holsets that BEP had discontinued the holset line of housings over 2 years ago. They're picking back up production though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif . There's only one DSM turbo vendor I know that uses holset components in their turbos. And it's not Bullseye Power. Bullseye power sells to Brent Rau. They sell Borg-Warner turbos.

Holset does not want to go into this market and can you blame them? Look at what they would have to deal with. Vendors would stock the shelves for guys that want what worked 10years ago and stubbornly defending it as the only way. Or most efficient way. Oh! Unless FP says to run something different. Of whom also said the 18g flows less than the evo3 16g. Then suprise, suprise they show us an 18g compressor map with their debut of the td06sl 18g.

Interestingly, the hx40pro spools about as fast as your turbocharger.

But you did research holset on the sr20, ka-t, turboford, e30, zcar, supra, srt-4, GN, turbo mustang, fiero, sy/ty, turboyota, VW, and wankel forums. Good.

. . . Please don't buy a holset. I want them to stay under the radar and affordable.

chrisb33

I actually was apprehensive to comment on the holset also coz i was afraid that "word" may spread about these affordable yet great turbo's, and like you said, prices may jack up. I bought mine at a higher price vs. the average going price of the hx35 a year ago!

chris b

I know. I got my big h1c for $100 last year. And I can't find them for less than what the hx35 used to sell for a couple of years ago which is $300 or so.

HA!, after buying the bolton housing new and rebuilding a turbo (that probably doesnt need it) and getting all the oil lines (no water lines), the total price is still FAR better than anyother bolton turbo in the flow range: fpgreen, scm50, SBR 50-trim, 20g. And it outspools them all with out a loss in flow up top.

He!! you can get a NEW hybrid hx35/40 minus the turbine housing for $650. You can buy a new bep housign and have a bolton tubo that flows as much as the gt3076r/fp3052 and spools faster. Or you can get the same spool speed as those bb turbos by running a holset 12cm^2 turbine housing (see TimG). And make over 600whp trap speeds. . . Total cost for either route: $950.

FYI Brianawd. Yes, Tim wasn't happy with the hx35 he had and upgraded to the bigger compressor wheel. And after the cost for that upgrade he still paid far less for a turbo that traps higher than yours with a fullweight car and a terrible launch. Have you talked to him since? "This car fncking rips!" is all you getout of him. He thought the 8blade hx35 was the 60lb/min hx35. So did Steve. These were the ones that said that they werent happy with the turbo. Steve and Tim upgraded to the hx40 compressor wheel, but Steve still ran the small bep housing. The small bep housing on the hx35 turbine wheel, yes, is not enough for the hx35 60lb/min compressor or the hx40 compressor. But the bep housing with the hx40 turbinewheel is enough for the hx40 compressor. Yes they wanted more than they thought the turbo can deliver. Steve didn't want to run a dfferent exhaust manifold. TimG thought the 8blade hx35 was 60-1 sized turbo, since they both were going off the holset website which was not clear.

And no one who bought an hx35 or hx40 and ran it actually bought an hx52. No one talked about the hx52 because the hx40 can't cut it. But, this is already clear on the tuners threads. The owners of the hx52s each want a gt42 like turbo.

chrisb33

ey matt,

hehehe i know it probably doesnt have to be rebuilt but i live here so far away from any reputable turbo rebuilder so im just playing it safe by sending it to justin before it gets shipped to me. After all, after getting it rebuilt, im pretty sure the holset will outlast either my rebuilt engine OR my galant! hahaha. But yeah, if i chose not to have it rebuilt, then cost of the whole thing would be sub $700!

Ey, i think we're hi-jacking the OP's thread. Sorry slidesquad!

chris b

Hey, he asked about holsets on page 1. At least he should get information about them from someone who uses them. . .

cheekychimp

Quoting chrisb33:

Cheeky,

i suggest you go with the straight hx40 and not the hx34/40 combo. The turbine side way outflows your compressor. There's a BEP housing for hx40 also available from BEP directly. It's cast stainless steel as well. or if you want, just use the stock divided housing and run a divided manifold. im not sure if the hx40 is a t4 or t3. but most probably it's a t4.

chris b

Yeah Chris, unfortunately I already have the HX35/40 in the cast BEP housing. I got on the bandwagon a long time ago and was taking flak for my turbo choice long before you or some of the few supporters appeared.

What is the difference between the standard HX40 and the Pro 40? Does the Pro 40 spool faster than the HX35/40 and could you upgrade an HX35/40 by using a Pro 40 wheel or is the Pro 40 only modified on the hotside?

chrisb33

Ey cheeky,

I think matt is the guy to ask about these holsets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but i think as he mentioned above, you're good with the hx35/40 combo.

matt,

please chime in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The standard hx40 is the 8blade 58mm inducer hx40 compressor wheel found on 90% of the hx40 turbos out there. This is a 60lb/min turbo. The standard hx40 with the bep housing spools to full boost by 4000rpms or SLIGHTLY earlier and flows as much as a SCM6076. There ain't no scm60 that can spool under 4500rpms.

The super40 or pro 40 is the 60mm inducer 6 blade COMPRESSOR upgrade. There was a revision to this compressor to a 7blade 60mm inducer wheel. These wheels are so similar in performance that holset never released a revised compressor map. If you have less than 8blades and 60mm inducer on your hx35/40, then you already have this compressor.

The hx35/40 is at least as good as 600ish whp in the stock hx35 turbine housing, as demonstrated. But spool will be about 400rpms later running an open header design (non-divided runners). I do feel that the bep housing is a choke to flow when you want to push 600whp out of the hx35 turbine wheel. But we all know that the turbine housing tweeks the spool speed and peak flow more than dictates it (see td05h 16g vs td06h fpred: same turbine housing). The bolton housing is NOT a restriction with an hx40 turbine wheel to the hx40 pro (68lb/min) compressor.

So you have some options:

1. Keep the turbo as it is. td05h 16g/18g spool speed with a little more than gt30r topend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.
2. Bolt on the original 12cm^2 hx35 turbine housing ang get a t3 open header manifold. If you have the pro compressor, gt35r topend with gt30r spool speed.
3. Cut the bep turbine housing for a straight hx40 (8blade). 1-2 lb/min shy of gt35r topend with gt30r spool speed.
4. Cut the bep turbine housing for a straight hx40 (8blade) and swap on the super40 wheel. GT4088r topend with gt30r spool speed.
5. Super40 with the hx40 turbine and divided-runner t4 manifold with the stock twinscroll hx40 turbine housing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . A running acount with shepherd racing transmissions.

cheekychimp

Quote:

1. Keep the turbo as it is. td05h 16g/18g spool speed. gt30r top end. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Yeah, I think I like that option too!

Edit: But great info thanks and option 5 is interesting!

Last edited:

Just think! There's yet another whole world of turbochargers by Borg-Warner.

thecman02

The Borg/Warner Series looks pretty interesting but the allure of the Holsets is the attractive price, and the fact I have some diesel truck yahoo friends that might have a spare hx-35 I could slap a BEP housing on and beat them with their old turbo they didn't want :)

JNR

Is it possible these Holsets are so efficient on diesels is due to the increased heat output of the diesel engine, or am I on crack again, lol?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned