The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo help gt30/fpGreen/50trim

A properly running diesel puts out lower exhaust heat and the gases move slower vs. a gas motor. So a high flowing wheel that will still spool in a cold exhaust environment is neccesary. Since turbine wheel work = Cp X massflow X (Temp in - Temp out). Temperature is GREATLY tied to the force the turbine blades see. And more force spools faster. This is why an hx35 spools so fast on a 2.0L motor though it came from a 5.9L cummins pickup. The diesel motor needs to see 25+ psi by 1200rpms. 1200rpms full spool X 5.9L = 7080L/min. 7080L/min ÷ 2.0L = 3540rpm full spool.

Diesels typically flow less air than gas motors at the same rpm, too. The back pressure goes way up because of not being able to get those exhaust gases through the manifold as well. They surge their turbos like crazy because of this. And holset devised the MWE patent to counter this. And built almost all of their turbine housings with twinscroll, to increase spool AND cut down on the backpressure pushing gases back into the cylinder.

Of course now they run VGT on all cummins pickups. . .

A gt35r is a diesel truck turbo. Ford guys use them. If a gt35r is feasible diesel truck turbo, then why havn't holsets caught on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

onesickcrx

why not try doing a twin scroll gt30 spool like a green hit like a bat out of hell?

Brianawd

Quote:
Here's the slip of the hybrid hx35/40 in a full weight 1g awd: TimG runs 11.3@132 mph.

Wow. HX35/40 running 11.3@132 on 37psi. Sorry but my full weight galant traps 131.55 with a 30r at 29psi. 8psi less in a heaver car thats shaped like a brick. Still not impressed.
Oh and Holsets are not any better in reliability than any other turbo. Not true. we have a few hundred holsets sitting on our shelfs at work that are bad. We also have a few hundred Garrett's that are the same.

chrisb33

Any turbo that is not properly maintained will have reliability issues. having said that, im 100% sure that a well maintained holset vs. well maintained garrett (or even an FP), the holset will stil outlast the other turbos given the same amount of abuse. These holsets have HUGE center journals.

Like matt said in the dsmtuners thread, oil pressure going into the holset is an important factor for its longevity.

chris b

thecman02

Quoting Brianawd:
Quote:
Here's the slip of the hybrid hx35/40 in a full weight 1g awd: TimG runs 11.3@132 mph.

Wow. HX35/40 running 11.3@132 on 37psi. Sorry but my full weight galant traps 131.55 with a 30r at 29psi. 8psi less in a heaver car thats shaped like a brick. Still not impressed.
Oh and Holsets are not any better in reliability than any other turbo. Not true. we have a few hundred holsets sitting on our shelfs at work that are bad. We also have a few hundred Garrett's that are the same.

Hmm I'm still on the fence. I see your point Brian. My counterpoint would be the fuels used. I don't know how he gets away with 37psi on pump, but I didn't see anything about meth injection. He must have timing extremely low. So you are making your horsepower up with the epic timing advance that I know first hand you can get with the kick ass e-85.

Brianawd

Quote:
Hmm I'm still on the fence. I see your point Brian. My counterpoint would be the fuels used. I don't know how he gets away with 37psi on pump, but I didn't see anything about meth injection. He must have timing extremely low. So you are making your horsepower up with the epic timing advance that I know first hand you can get with the kick ass e-85.

I am not running a sh*t ton of timing. I see a max of 22degs of timing at 6500rpm. Most all my timing is right around 20degs for 4k up.

thecman02

I'm curious what that one guy was running for timing. It looks like he has upgraded internals so he can probably run low timing like 10 degrees vs your 22 degrees timing. I dunno, I'd still rather have your setup Brian then the Holset.

turbowop

Wow, attack of the Holset fanbois. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Spools as quick as a 16g and flows more than a GT30r? Please. There would be a lot more Holset nut swingers than the few we see here if that were true. I'm all for new, better parts, but man if Wheelhop doesn't sound like an infomercial for these things. Are you related to Billy Mays? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I'll stick to what's proven by hundreds if not thousands or more, not what's been done by a couple. Wheelhop is to Holsets as Dieselgeek is to the Megasquirt. One guy that goes on and on about how much better and cheap their sh*t is, but with only a couple of people with any real numbers to back stuff up. It works for some people sure, but man you guys defend this stuff to the death. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

As far as durability goes, I've yet to have issues with any MHI turbo I've had or any FP turbo I've had and they all get beat on whenever I drive my car. Whatever. I'll keep overpaying for my obsolete turbos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Andy_S

Quoting thecman02:
I'm curious what that one guy was running for timing. It looks like he has upgraded internals so he can probably run low timing like 10 degrees vs your 22 degrees timing. I dunno, I'd still rather have your setup Brian then the Holset.

That doesn't make any sense.

thecman02

Poster: Aspod
Subject: Re: turbo help gt30/fpGreen/50trim

Quoting thecman02:

That doesn't make any sense.

You can't retard timing much under 14 degrees safely with stock internals. Retarding the timing increases EGT=melting down stock pistons. When your shooting for big pump gas numbers it is usually a bigger gain to decrease timing and increase boost. So the guy with the Holset is using 37psi at a lower timing to make power while Brian is using 30psi, but with a more aggressive timing advance.

Which brings me to why I'm curious what that guy was running for timing. Brian says he's not impressed, but if Brian bolted on that turbo with all other factors being equal on his car. I bet the car would be very close between the two.

thecman02

Quoting turbowop:
Wow, attack of the Holset fanbois. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Spools as quick as a 16g and flows more than a GT30r? Please. There would be a lot more Holset nut swingers than the few we see here if that were true. I'm all for new, better parts, but man if Wheelhop doesn't sound like an infomercial for these things. Are you related to Billy Mays? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I'll stick to what's proven by hundreds if not thousands or more, not what's been done by a couple. Wheelhop is to Holsets as Dieselgeek is to the Megasquirt. One guy that goes on and on about how much better and cheap their sh*t is, but with only a couple of people with any real numbers to back stuff up. It works for some people sure, but man you guys defend this stuff to the death. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

As far as durability goes, I've yet to have issues with any MHI turbo I've had or any FP turbo I've had and they all get beat on whenever I drive my car. Whatever. I'll keep overpaying for my obsolete turbos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I'm only defending because I'm truly interested in the possibility of having a 400+hp set up for around 1k instead of 2k. I know the FP makes kick ass turbos. I haven't seen to many valid points against the turbo other than I wasn't personally impressed with the pictures of the Bulleye Power Housings. I wish FP would make a custom housing similar to the FP30 series. That would be tities. I'm sure that FP would not be interested in something like that though. I'm not saying the expensive/nice turbos are obsolete either. If that was the case why would Holset turbos be compared to Garrett. It is obvious they are the standard which other turbos are held too.

Some of my guesses why their aren't many "Holset nut swingers" is bad experiences people had with "other flop" turbos. Just like their was a whole bunch of people on this forum afraid of Kamil because of bad experiences in the past. With people afraid to take a risk nothing happens. No progress is made. Take that with a grain of salt, but now it looks like we will be getting CF JDM hoods. It'd be nice if the Holsets turn into another good option for dsm's and gvr4's.

beaner

I knew this would turn into a Holset thread, just like allll the turbo threads on dsmtuners.

What's the next fad?

Brianawd

For any one that wants to run a Holset. Great hope it works out for you. The only thing I ask is that you stay away from the BEP housing. I don't care what Wheelhop says. They are crap. I had one of there bolt on housing long before people started using them. If people don't believe me ask Mark(turbowop) He watched me for two years as I tried to get that sh*t to run what it should have been able to. I finely gave up and put on a FP turbo and have never looked back. Best of luck to all you Holset guys. Keep us posted on what the cars put down and what they do at the track.

chrisb33

guys,

i think you should look at this on the brighter side. The reason why there's a whole lot of posts on these holsets is for OUR education. giving all of us boostheads a cost effective alternative to what you call "proven" turbo's like Garrett and FP, etc.

another plus side in having an alternative to the "proven" brands, is that it adds competition; which is good for us consumers. Because when there is strong competition, quality of builds become better, OR (hopefully) prices of the above mentioned brands go down. I think none of us will complain if Garrett and FP lowers down their prices right? if you search one of my threads here, "help on engine rebuild", you will see that my first choice really is an FP green but due to budget constraints, i was all set to get an FP18g instead (especially because it was on sale). But because i did more research, i found out about the holsets and the rest is history.

We're not here to defend holset turbos NOR are we here to bash out other brands. We're just simply here to educate and inform others that there IS a cheaper alternative vs. those other big name turbo manufacturers.

I believe matt has has given all of us the numbers and the maps that we all scrutinize when a new turbo is introduced. Those who are interested in holsets should be thankful to matt for all the time and effort that he put into his research.

Lastly, i agree - Trying out new things comes with risks, but risks also comes with big rewards.

We here who have taken the holset plunge have taken a calculated risk and will soon find out of the results.

chris b

Amen!

The OP brought up holsets.

A few bullet points from the discussion so far to lighten up the air. Nothing personal:

-- Rating a turbine housing's performance with different wheels is like rating a bikini. I'll wear it. You tell me how it looks. . . Don't blame a poor choice in turbine wheel & turbine housing combination on the turbine housing.

-- FP sheep don't like other turbos. No matter how they get beat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifJust messing here. Don't take that personal.

-- E85 yields the same results with lower boost than pump gas (go figure).

-- Don't compare 2 different frame-size turbos. . . Oops! My dang. The cars are about 100lbs different in weight too. I really thought we would see that a turbine intended for faster spool and less flow can compete with a larger turbine with more flow potential. Nope, FP3052 should be compaired to the same spool speed HX40. Think about that one for a moment as you gaze at the comparison dyno map of the hx40 vs. the gt3076r

-- 650whp out of a maxed out compressor and 500whp out of a maxed out compressor doesn't matter. The BEP housing doesn't flow worth sh!t. Why? see second bullet. . . Or see first bullet for a laugh.

-- We all care about impressing our internet aquaintances

--Some 4g63 guys don't look at or know how to diagnose a log. There is no proof of anything! We insist on seat time in a strangers car, a video of that seat time clearly showing the boost gauge, and EVERYONE running the same turbo to do the same. Alas... see second bullet. Or skip the rest because logs belong in the toilet.

-- When a turbo producer builds a better turbo and everyone buys it, it's a fad. When another builds a better turbo for the same price the fad fades. It's not like us 4g63 guys really picked the new turbo because it's better. We picked it because the last poster said it was better. Or see second bullet. No don't do that. You see the point. And you're a competent turbocharger consumer.

-- Holsets can't be a fad. No one runs them because they SUCK! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

-- There are no Holset "nutswingers" with DSMs. Because they DON'T spool that fast and they ARN'T proven.

-- Us DSMers are all wise. I didn't look at what these turbos do with other similar platforms. Nor should I. There's NOTHING like a 4g63.

-- See first bullet. Let's think about Jessica Alba in that bikini, instead. We all agree on that!!!

--I think megasquirt is a little overrated. That's not a bullet But I am trying to meet on a commonground with some.

Really guys. Let's stop and look. You don't see the proof in the spool speed? Did you look at my logs? Did you look at the powerband of the g-t-3-0-7-6-r vs. the HX40. Tha dynograph was a comparison of those 2 turbos. Lets forget that the hx40 has a 68lb/min compressor map and a p-trim size turbine wheel. Does the hx40 have the same powerband as the gt30r? Now, w'ell actually have to look at the link to the dynograph and looked at the caption and labels, or of course I'm just one of those holset 'fans'. H1C 54mm to be exact.

Do you really not see the proof of flow? How tall is that dyno graph? Remember there is a ptrim size turbine wheel in that turbo and a 68lb/min compressor. We ALL likely have significantly above average intelligence. How else could we keep a DSM on the road after beating the he!! out of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. So, with our intelligence, how does a gt35r match up to a gt30r? So then through a math term, syllagism, how does the gt35r match up to the hx40 in the bep housing?

Who ever is reading this, YOU may not have enough proof for it to be a turbo YOU would buy. But simply stating that is all one needs to do to make their point, correct? What one person studies in a choice is not what another studies. Some don't mind that not many even run these turbos on 4g63 cars. Some do. What else can you say? That the numbers don't count because there are not enough guys running these turbos? Well, who else will run these so that there will be enough? ...The next guy that wants to take a stab at it. It's not really a mature point of view to cast doubt on something because not many use it. If you NEW that it would perform the same and cost half. If you really NEW, would you still not buy it?

How did we ever get the 20g on the 4g63? Some don't care about 'culture'. But, I think those that are proud of their car can say that it's success came from a culture of do-it-yourselfers who let their car teach them and took the next step. Where were we to go back then, after pushing the limits of the 16g? These guys didn't have money for a garret change over. There wasn't even a garret flanged exhaust manifold. I don't have the money either. But I know a little something about my car. And I see the proof in the form of realworld dyno graphs, track results, and actual logs on real setups.

Does the percentage of failure to meet a goal of 550+ whp REALLY go up if you choose a holset hx40 with the bep housing over a gt35r? Or a bolton hx35 over a gt30r?

There arn't many using the holset because there arn't many using the holset. That's still not a good reason not to use one... for most. There arnt' many using theholset because there isn't much information about them. That's believable. It's not because they don't perform. Why should Curt Brown use a holset? He's not being sponsored by a holset supplier. This is where investment dollars pay off. Retention and word of mouth advertizing because there is no other proof. I'll tell you one thing! If Serge, Brown, Kwaitkowski, put these numbers in this thread, EVERYONE would think a little different. That is Curt Brown's price to FP and deservedly so. FP has earned the money and Curt Brown is a master at making a 4cylinder fast.

Look at it this way. If a "no name" (no offense to you Badman21) made 650+whp with a little known turbo, what can a "name" do with it? Since we don't have the skills of the named, does it even matter what a "name" can do? Out of 10 backyard machanics, 5 went to the track and 5 are running LOW 11s. And the rest are seeing 40+ lb/min airflow. All the turbos spool to 20+ psi by 4100rpms with the bep housing. Where the bep housing goes with these turbos has been proven, with track times and dynographs. Yes, the rest is up to your opinion.

Thanx Brian for the words of advice and the good wishes. I THINK I'll be the first with actual track time with an H1C. There's another who's biting at the bit but he's got alot of tuning to get down and I don't think the track is even open now. So far we both have seen over 40lb/min in the bolton housing with stock manifolds and displacement. I've got to rebuild, but that's a good winter project. I will be putting my setup in an AWD chassis. So that should give a better gauge. Tim has requested that the tuners guys open a results thread. . . Holset Turbos, RESULTS ONLY (COMPLETE INSTALLED SYSTEMS)

-- Last bullet. D@mn, Matt is too preachy. AMEN! Yes, my wife cringes when I get on my soap box. I apologize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

. . .For those that DO want to actaully see the spool speed of this 650whp hx40 turbocharger, here's badmans car: turbosharky. No antilag with the clutch pedal lifted: sharky launch. He's not using Antilag at the begining of first because as, you can see in the previous video, wheelspin on drag radials is already an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

turbowop

3deek3.gif

Brianawd

I don't call meth with two m10 justs pump gas

beaner

Why is it that these were beginning to be discussed on tuners in 04-05 and the bolt on turbine housing came out around then, yet I see only enough successful setups to count on one hand? I know they were popular because the original Holset thread on there is from forever ago and has almost 6 figures in views. Were people buying the wrong OEM combination or something? From what I've read there's a TON of variations with these turbos.

I've always been attracted to them because of the price and they sound awesome on the internet with all the numbers and sh*t, but when it comes to real life performance it seems like few actually pulled it off like was expected.

Not meaning to add fuel to a fire, just tryin' to keep the discussion going. Don't take me the wrong way man. I'm here to learn from others like everyone else here (with few exceptions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif).

thecman02

Alright my valid argument lost some credibility, but E85 is probably still a better fuel then pump with meth. I'm still curious how that turbo would do on your car at equal boost and timing. So he has less horsepower with more boost. It could be that you are just that much better of a tuner Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

Brianawd

So with that dyno your trying to prove the the hx40pro spools as fast or faster than the 30r. Ok great but please tell me that the dyno charts are from the same car just with a turbo change. If its is from the same car then cool that turbo spools faster than a smaller car.

Here is some thing else I have noticed. The 30r makes 550+ at 30psi the hx40pro make 650+ at 40psi. You would think for a turbo that is rated at 68lb/min it would make more than 650 seeing that the 52lb/min turbo at 30psi is making 550+

To really make this fun it would be cool to see a HTA35r vs HX40PRO.
Or even a HTA30R vs HX40PRO. I say that because I know my little 30r is right around 600awhp if I go off the weight of the car and the mph.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned