The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo help gt30/fpGreen/50trim

Identical car. The turbo was swapped in between dyno sessions.

I don't see how 90hp difference for 10psi difference is such a bad thing. Compressor flow potential has nothing to do with how much flow is allowed by the engine. 68lb/min on the compressor map doesn't mean that such a turbo will flow 68lb/min at the same boost as a smaller turbo reaches it's flow limit.

This was with 110 not ethanol. Hence why the lower numbers on the gt3076r than you're results.

Speaking of which. Ethanol does have a lower stoich number, around 9.3:1. There is more energy because there is more fuel there to burn. Hence, the typically higher timing. And the higher compression allowable. Race fuel still has a stoich around 14.7:1. So it just has more detonation resistance. It still doesn't have any more energy released in the CC. If you can get 600whp out a gt30r, then you can do 6-7% better than badman21 with either turbo he used.

2 M10 nozzles is 1300cc/min of methanol flow. Methanol needs to be at 6:1 for a stoich mixture (complete burn). It weighs 6.63 lb/gal. 2 M10s puts out 2.2lb/min of methanol. It only takes 13.26 lb/min of airflow for there to be a stoich mix. There is hardly enough methanol to make that much of a difference. Methanol accounts for about 28% of the fuel flow IF he's at around 80%IDC with his 1000cc injectors. But you're right this isn't just 93 pump gas. There IS enough there to cool down the aircharge and cylinders. And to raise his octane to about 99 if he's pushing his 1000cc injectors to 80%. Less octane if higher duty.

Holsets like boost. Again, Tim is using a SMALLER turbine wheel than you are. Yes. You're car is incredible. What family car can do this!!! I love it.

EDIT: Beaner, alot of views is not alot of users. They were NOT popular. Alot of talk and no one put them on their car. I've already said that BEP stop production of the hx35 and hx40 housing over 2 years ago because no one bought them in the first place. . . Everyone wanted to see pages of results first. So no pages of results were created. It was a shot in the foot. What I don't understand is why no one will go to other sources. Why be so conjoined to the dsm holset threads? There's more 4 cylinders out there than just the Sirius family. Ford lima 2.3 w/ terrible! head port design (I know because I raced one for years), and 2 valve head, straight hx35, 28psi, engine dyno:
YouTube - 585 hp 2.3l ford on pump gas Street-N-Strip They are happy to achieve 90% VE with cams and porting and an intake manifold upgrade, this is about 2.0L of displacement. We see 100%VE at 6K with a cam upgrade. This is a 52 lb/min turbo, too. Pumpgas and methanol injection (less energy in the fuel).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hksvr4

I had a HX35 on my car. I did a whole write up on it here. I get full boost at 3500rpm with a 2.0L. That's quick for a bushing turbo of it's size. In short, I was happy with it. I went to the dyno and cracked the Magnus Intake. Never went back to the dyno or tracked the HX35 because I sold the car. I think for the money, it was the best bang for the buck. You can also get a hybrid HX40/35 for alittle more. That's a 600whp turbo for under a thousand. Hell, you can piece these turbo's together yourself from e-bay or junkyards. These came off dodge cummings trucks.

Garette's are proven technology and was picked up early in the game. Many people run BorgWarner's now too with good results.

Last edited:

I remember it. Some of you guys already posted in that thread. Some were actually surprised the magnus intake manifold cracked. That thread was what convinced me to get an h1c. I was leary about the spool speed, too. Since I knew they were similar, I expected the same spool speed as you and a few others. I wondered about the topend being choked for a 50-trim size inducer. But then I saw the dyno of 494whp with the same turbine wheel and housing, and knew that the h1c and 8blade hx35 with the BEP housing matches the scm50/fpgreen uptop and with full boost at 3500ish rpms.

This h1c in the bep housing is hands down a better turbo than my 18g or my 60-1 with the t31 wheel or the 20g on a local's car I've tuned. I see the same or better airflow at the same boost and faster spool than them all. My logs I've posted show how the hotside outperforms a 16g. Considering that it spools at the same speed, it's nice to have 2 more lb/min at 2-3psi less boost, when you're running a very streetable 19psi and higher ambient temps. That turbine really flows well to do that. And we're all not blind to what a 16g hotside CAN do. It doesn't have any problem delivering 40lb/min returns. It's just nice to have more for less and with the same spool. I paid the same for this setup as I did my small 16g.

EDIT: One thing to add, Badman21 doesn't run the billet (HTA) hx40 pro wheel to which you can upgrade. Yes, I too wold be interested to see a comparison of various similar frame billet turbos on a dyno.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned