The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need sensor ID

gvr4ever

Is this a coolant temp sensor? Its located under the intake by the throttle body. I damaged the wire removing the head and need to re-attach it.

gvr4ever

Is it also called the Closed throttle position switch?

I miss read the diagram. I thought maybe the intake had a secondary coolant sensor for the intake manifold, but their is a air conditioning engine coolant temperature switch close by.

Tip of the day: Don't speed read.

pot

Staff member
It is, in fact its called a number of things; Closed Position Idle Switch, Idle Stop Switch, Closed Throttle Position Switch, etc. I don't have the factory manual handy but its obviously covered in there. The air conditioning engine coolant temperature switch is kinda close by but its located on the water neck next to the Coolant Temperature Sensor.

turbowop

Make sure you put that thing back in the exact orientation it was in before removal. That switch is what locates the throttle body butterfly plate, and if you have that switch turned in or out different than it was before, you will end up with some idle issues. I'm not really sure how you mistook that for a coolant sensor?

gvr4ever

I was looking at the manuals. I completely forgot where I took it off.

Orientation? Seems to be a on off switch. I can hear it click installed.

turbowop

That hex at the bottom of it is a jamb nut. It threads in, and the jamb nut on it holds it in place. Totally adjustable install height, hence my warning.

James

To put it a little more basic terms. Of the switch is screwed in to far it will keep the throttle plate open causing a high idle. If it's not screwed in enough it will let the plate close all way and the car May night not start

turbowop

It's not really a big deal since it's easy to adjust, but I wanted to mention it so that if you do have an issue after reinstall, you know what to look for. And it got me a bit worried when you called it a coolant temp sensor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

slugsgomoo

If you have V3 or AEM you don't need that switch anymore, delete it and use the pin to log something else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

Something still needs to be there to locate the throttle plate though. To keep it from closing completely. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be open the tinyest bit at least. I left the switch in my throttle body for that reason, though a bolt or screw could be used. I actually do use that pin for something via ECMlink, but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

gtluke

pro-tip
that switch doesn't work unless you put some sort of jumper between the throttle body and ground, usually the intake manifold. There is one there from the factory, but everyone seems to throw it out when working on the car because it doesn't look good. You would think the TB is grounded, but it's not, the gaskets isolate the TB from the elbow and the intake, and the bolt's don't touch it. At least 50% of dsm's that came into my shop had it removed and non functional.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned