The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wing for the one lap team. done with pictures and shipped

GreenGSX

I think that looks great but the wing is already on its way to Curtis for fabrication of the pylons. I won't spoil the fun until its on the car but lets just say its less of a factory "high spoiler" and more of a real race car wing.

...and yes, when you drive around in a car that has been described as a "clown car" sticking out more no longer becomes and issue.

Last edited:

curtis

Wing got here and hour ago and have tape on the trunk laying out dimensions now. Hoping to ship out tomorrow after 5 fed ex...but we'll see how it goes.

Tim pm me your address

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting kartorium:
Cause looking out of place is a huge concern for the One Lap team..... I think you've missed the point Ralli380.

It was merely a suggestion bud. Having a functional i.e. "following the body lines" not for form but function...looking like it belongs on the car in conjunction with the Works rally theme is just a plus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No judgement being passed on the car turning into a track car. Believe me, I totally understand their is a budget and deadline. I also understand the Galant(80's brick) is up against an aerodynamic wall on the track and being competitive is a huge concern.

GreenGSX, I'm really stoked to see what the final OneLapVr4 2.0 is going to look like and how it will perform. I'm sure it will be a work of art in it's own right. Especially with Curtis' help and handy-work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Again much respect attacking this again and representing the E39A community.

curtis

Quoting GreenGSX:
Well, don't hold out on a brother...how does it look?

Good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

H05TYL

Quoting Ralli380Gvr4:

My official vote is VG's and an oem Evo III wing.

Here's an example on a Evo III.

That's an Evo I wing.

This is an Evo III wing.

Olson

The cars going to need more wing than either of those evo wing will generate, If they are building kinda what i have in my head it will get the job done well.

Ralli380Gvr4

I stand corrected

curtis

I just wish I had more time to work on this instead of a 1/2 day turn around... If the guys will let me post up pictures when done I shall but they may want to debut this themselves.

GreenGSX

Curtis, you should post up the pictures so we can all see how much work goes into building the pylons. Thank you for all your help.

curtis

today had 3 hours wasted looking for stupid spacers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The plyons are almost done. Having to reinforce the the mounts since your using the stock mounting points. After that I'll get some pictures up.

steve

High expectations for anything coming out of Casa de Curtis.

evo8ya

Quoting Ralli380Gvr4:
Quoting BarnesMobile:
I think the simplest solution is to the wing very high, and removable. You could buy wing struts for air planes to create the vertical portion of the assembly. Then buy some kinda off the shelf airfoil for cars. Create some kinda bracket that protrudes through the bumper that attaches to the wing and can be removed with ease.

Or is this kinda thing forbidden in One Lap?

Do a removable front....and rear wing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I saw that car a SEMA. I almost fell down laughing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

curtis

Tired still needs so more tweaking to stang perpendicular to the trunk lid but getting there.
Have to pull a line on the spars to make sure the rivnuts find a nice home. Need to install those 8 rivnuts, then disassemble, bead blast, reassemble, cut the side splitter deals and wrap and ship. Spacers had to be cut to length, angle brackets had to be made. yadda yadda. everything didn't fit. Even recycled 2 of the mas air studs from a 2nd gen airbox for a mounting point. Late so I'm stopping for now, will ship out tomorrow.

Tim the bolts and hardware come with it but You need to pick up 2 M6 x 40 allen heads and ask the builder of the wing what damn size the 4 inserts are for the side pieces. There's 12 x 24 that are in there that is supporting the wing on the wire but they just feel loose maybe a M5. Also get some big flat washers for the forward wing mount biggger the better alot of force on a close distance together.
The rod ends are fully adjustable and have to be safety wired, old airplane parts. figured any real wing needs airplane parts. I'll throw some .032 in the box for you.

Oh and you 2 owe me this rush , jump through your butt fabrication isn't the way I do business.

kartorium

Maybe I missed it, but why are you making completely custom pedestals? The wing not come with any parts?

Seems like a lot of work when you can just buy something for cheap that will do the same thing.

4wheelsqueal

so were you able to make those brackets, curtis? from the pictures on here, i'm guessing you were and don't need anything run...

GreenGSX

Quoting kartorium:
Maybe I missed it, but why are you making completely custom pedestals? The wing not come with any parts?

Seems like a lot of work when you can just buy something for cheap that will do the same thing.

Its not just a wing. Its a work of art so cool I am not qualified to comment on it. Curtis said it is bad-a$$ which is proof enough for me.

Nice work Curtis!!

curtis

Yea time wasn't in our favor this round I was going to PM but no time. Been in the shop for 2 days straight.

So its flying under its own power. Don't like doing scary stuff first thing in the morning so I drilled the wing and installed the rivnuts. Damn scary stuff cause I don't use drill stops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Carbon fiber wing with a thin aluminum spar and no room for error. But there in and not going anywhere.

Tim also pick up 8... 1/4 x 20 x 3/4 allen heads or whatever you like if you don't like the ones I used. There just on benchstock I actually thing there Mustang fuel rail bolts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ok time for the couch all I lack is bead blasting and cutting the side pieces out.

As soon as I'm done I'll send it out.

One other thing I've thought off and i want have time instead of a big washer under the two mounts It really needs a big doubler out of aluminum something in the 8x8 size range. just cut some out on your table saw and slide under the reinforcement of the trunk and drill two holes on each side. then when the wing is bolted down will give a much better footprint.

Looking good. Curtis, your car is in the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif. If your car was up & running, you wouldn't be able to make all these cool stuff lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned