The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Why did we get a different first gear and why is our idle higher?

Wizardawd

^^ Guy speaks of the 'cocktail' like it's his new favorite drink at the bar. You guys got a local source in SF for Redline?

And for transmission ratios:

click

Wiz

Nothing local, but I always use Amazon...free super saver shipping over $25 and no tax for now at least in my State.

prove_it

I buy my fluids from Modern auto performance.

gvr4ever

Quoting prove_it:
The stock VR4 1st gear is weaker. I shattered mine at 280whp s16g making a left turn and powering on to slide out on dry pavement. And I do mean shattered. I was already moving about 5mph too, wasn't a hard launch.

That isn't common. It's usually very aggressive launches and many of them to cause a failure. I still thought it was due to the gear ratio and not the material of the gear, but who knows. I was once in a DSM with a GVR4 first gear. Not sure why the owner chose it, but I was ridding shotgun on some rev limiter clutch dump launches and on the 3rd one, it shattered.

gvr4ever

Quoting blkchr91:
@gvr4ever...is it shorter or taller...meaning does it wind out quicker or not? Just curious and yes it will be a non dd drag vehicle since there is a track that will be built very close to my house. It will still be limited by the E316g though. Thanks

Short = wind out quicker. I had a fwd turbo talon once. 1st gear was pretty useless with any mods. Traction was a joke. I heard the same complaint from someone I knew who went from a 2G FWD to a 2G AWD.

Talk to whoever builds your transmission. I think the EVO 3 1st gear is also a popular choice and maybe the best one. I'm no expert on the matter, but I know that the GVR4 first gear is the worst one for drag racing.

5OF2k

Contrary to belief the GVR4 is slightly longer or "taller" than the DSM gear, it's simply not as strong. The ratio is good, and honestly very beneficial for drag racing since you arent having to shift into second before you hit the tree, BUT it's weak.

The DSM first gear is stronger, especially the 92+ units, but the ratio is so short it's next to useless, ESPECIALLY when you're making decent power or on a bigger turbo. Literally, useless. In my own car('90 AWD DSM trans), launching at 10lbs on my T67 I have to shift into second prettymuch RIGHT after I let the clutch out for the launch. Still, I come close to or hit the limiter(which is also moved to 7800)most of the time....also, the tach's arent 100% accurate either. My tach will read 7k but Im actually on the limiter, for instance.

Evo3 gearsets are the best bang for the buck AND the best ratio, so the best of both worlds for our cars and DSMs. This is also why most rebuild shops (Jack's, TRE, Shep) offer them in their rebuilds as an upgrade. As soon as I can foot the bill I'll be getting myself a Jack's stage 2.1 with full EVO3 gearset again, and will never look back.

-Jake

thecman02

The story I heard for our idle being higher is for the higher electrical load. We also get a 90A alt instead of the wimpy 75A a 1g gets. Just off the top of my head you have two more electric windows that can be operated and electric windows can draw pretty good amperage. ABS was also standard equipment on a VR4 so I'd assume all of these factors would play into our car idling a little higher.

GVR4 first is a little taller then a 1g. An evo 1st is slightly taller than a vr4 1st. At one point John from TRE showed me the differences on why the Galant's first was wimpy, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I know the EVO 1st gear was superior in everyway, as far as geometry and material. The DSM first also was stronger than a GVR4, but the short gearing blows. If your just building a daily driver having a shorter first is no big deal.

I'd like to know why it is weaker....although I know that it is. Wouldn't a little taller allow more space between the teeth making it stronger...I am sure that I only got part of it.

Maybe it is the material used?

Thanks

EHmotorsports

click

I will leave it up to you to do the rest of the leg work. If you want more info on the exact reason they fail contact Jack.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned