The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel backspacing for big brake kit

In my first post I gave you an opinion based on actual usage. It is a little more specific than just the offset,the width is a factor but in general +38 or +40 will work on 7.5" or 8" wheel. I've used both offsets on my car with my current Baer brakes in both 17 x 7.5 and the 18 x 7.5 shown.

Daryl

Guys, you're all correct but we are limited by the maximum offset we want to run due to how ridiculous it would look. As Daryl mentioned, the right offset, width & size will work regardless of spoke design. The real issue is, how much of an offset are you willing to run to achieve the clearance you need? Rolling the fenders to help hide the offset is limited by the little we have to roll.
Spoke design only comes into play when you set a limit on the maximum offset you want to run. While the fnor1-c 17x8+30 will clear the 3kgt vr4 calipers, I'm only willing to run a max offset of +35 which would still require me rolling the fenders.

CP

My Weds Sport SA-90 rims (17x8", ET35) clear my big brake kit with room to spare. I didn't do any fender rolling, but am running lots of negative camber:

boostx

hey CP can i see a side shot to see how the wheel sit.
very nice rims

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
Spoke design only comes into play when you set a limit on the maximum offset you want to run.

But a limit on off set MUST be set or you'll end up driving around with the wheels hanging out past the fenders like a monster truck and that's why I said that spoke design is just as important as offset. Plenty of 17x7 35mm offset wheels will clear the brake set up that I have but the spoke design of the wheels that I used to have would not even come close to fitting and the 2 piston set up that I have is no where near the size of a good 4 piston caliper.

John

Quote:
dizzzamn, Daryl. Busting out with the Evo pic like that, y0!

Love the Evo, man! Well done!

Thanks KC. The car was actually featured in the April 07 DSport issue too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Daryl

CP

Quote:
hey CP can i see a side shot to see how the wheel sit.
very nice rims

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned