The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

what type of galant do i have

was wondering what type of galant i have i obviously know it’s not a vr4 but i see the names for example e39 or like e38a get thrown around but i get mixed reactions when tryna find out what i have

My car is an nz new 1991 galant super saloon its has the 2.0L fuel injected 4g63 SOHC (pretty sure it’s a 4g63) 5 speed manual IMG_1929.jpeg

Turbo99

It should be stamped into the firewall as well, no?

galantfirewall.jpg

gvr4ever

I can't even read the faded tag, but it was made in New Zealand, so that's new to me. I thought they were all made in Japan, and I'm sure all global Galant VR4s were, but obviously not other cars.

r4pt0x

This is definitely no mitsubishi VIN but some local registration number. At least it wasn't recognized by the "general export" ASA, which usually also knows VINs from the APAC market (e.g. australia or malaysia). But given that NZ and AU always were a bit "special" in that they got *a lot* of special (and sometimes really awesome) models/variants, I wouldn't rule out that there were also distinct VINs for that nuber that aren't in the general export ASA database...

There should be another plate on the bonnet which has the model-, trim- and paint code. Also at least the Australian variants had the big plate on the firewall. Another place for the VIN on some markets (often only a sticker) would be the RH lower B-pillar.

If it's a 4G63 SOHC 8 valve it might be the 109HP E33 - I have one of those as a hatchback variant ("eterna" on some markets). The metal lower front and rear and black trim would also fit this "smaller" E33 variants. Only the DOHC GTI and VR4 had the large, plastic front/rear bumpers and large side trim panels.
Could you provide a picture of the engine bay? This would further simplify the identification.

This is definitely no mitsubishi VIN but some local registration number. At least it wasn't recognized by the "general export" ASA, which usually also knows VINs from the APAC market (e.g. australia or malaysia). But given that NZ and AU always were a bit "special" in that they got *a lot* of special (and sometimes really awesome) models/variants, I wouldn't rule out that there were also distinct VINs for that nuber that aren't in the general export ASA database...

There should be another plate on the bonnet which has the model-, trim- and paint code. Also at least the Australian variants had the big plate on the firewall. Another place for the VIN on some markets (often only a sticker) would be the RH lower B-pillar.

If it's a 4G63 SOHC 8 valve it might be the 109HP E33 - I have one of those as a hatchback variant ("eterna" on some markets). The metal lower front and rear and black trim would also fit this "smaller" E33 variants. Only the DOHC GTI and VR4 had the large, plastic front/rear bumpers and large side trim panels.
Could you provide a picture of the engine bay? This would further simplify the identification.

IMG_2118.png

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts