The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What ECU is this.

WOW this car is such a mess.. I pulled the ECU to send it to have the caps replaced and was expecting to see a E-prom and what do I get..... I ECU thats says TAYLON ont the front and a
MD304481
E2t60855 with 4481 on the side of the ECU. What the hell is this???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Metallihawk

I'm not seeing that number on THIS LIST. But I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple months ago when I got a chip burned for mine. Pulled it out only to reveal a talon non-eprom ecu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . If yours is eprom it will still work though.

EDIT: Found it via google search. "MD304481 came from a 1G DSM 2.0L NA FWD manual and automatic (6/93-5/94). " Also here's a more complete list of ECUs.

Last edited:

The biggest problem with the 4481 ECU is that it has no knock board in it! Unless the ECU has been modified, they are unable to read knock and retard the timing to save your motor. Contact me for your options.

Weird I did not see it either but I wonder if its a FWD or AT trans? That would be just great. I dont think I'm going to keep this and I may go out and buy a E-prom for so I can tune it.. Thanx for the quick reply guys.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Ok just gets Better just found out this is A 1st gen NA FWD ECU. Thats nice.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Check the link. click

So now I need a ECU..

Last edited by a moderator:

Yea this car is a mess. The other things are small but starting to add up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1990ggsxnj

Just replied to your WTB thread... I had the same expression. "WTF?!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Don't even know how that was drivable AT ALL..

I wrote.

LUCK?? I never really hit boost. An when I did it was only 10 psi. I was waiting to up the boost, added a wally last week and I have 650CC injectors but the tranny blew so I never got to install them. I guess I should he ok after the tranny and ECU an 650's .

Terry Posten

Quoting mac515:
Could this be the issue I have with the idle. .A NA ecu in a FI car?

In this case, "NA" stands for normally aspirated. All TEls were fuel injected, that is why they need an ECU. A carburated motor does not have an ECU.

Your ECU is for a front wheel drive car without a turbo.

Being an Automatic car does not effect the ECU except for the smaller cams with require less fuel. Auto cars have smaller cams and fuel injectors.

So, that ECU will not inject enough fuel when you boost and will generally run rich even off boost. It will run but not correctly and can/will damage your motor after a while.

Get an ECU that is an Eprom from a 91-93 Talon, Eclipse, Laser or 91-92 Galant VR4 and then install a custom mapped chip from Keydiver for your MAS choice, injector size, fuel pressure setting, rev limit, and other options.

It does not matter if the donor car is an automatic because the chip that you get from Keydiver will make everything work as needed.

Good luck and buy an ECU that does not have any acid damage.

Keydiver (DSMchips.com) also sells ECUs and will send it with the correct chip made just for your car. And I think he warranties them as well.

PM Keydiver. click

Thanx Terry, For all the info.. I am surprised I did not blow this thing up? On a Side note how the hell does someone sell a car with the FN wrong ECU in it. I know thats called a HACK.. I have been biteing my tounge on this car for a while but what the heck..

Wizardawd

Probably because the ECU, even being for a NT, will still run the car. Just far below it performance level. I've run into a lot of NT ECUs in Turbo cars, some people just want the car to run and could care less that it's making less power.

Wiz

Wizardawd

I've seen cars ran for years with a NT ecu. The NT timing curves are pretty conservative and most people with a NT ECU aren't pushing the car hard anyways. If the car is getting pushed hard, most would've noticed and fixed the problem.

Also, beware the number on the outside of the case. These ecu's had a incredibly high failure rate and were rebuilt often. Often using different cases. Just because it says something on the outside, doesn't mean it matches the inside. Only a few screws and someone can put a NT ecu in a Eprom case, so watch out. Make sure you look at the board (obviously for damage) and the number is usually on the board too. No number means it's more than likely a aftermarket board and then who knows. Keydriver i'm sure has run into some of these.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned