The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Leaking Capacitors? and other ecu issues.

Okayplayer

I finally took out my ECU after having multiple issues with 1968. I opened up the ECU to check out the caps and found this. It looks like one of the caps were replaced by someone who wasn't very good at it. I also see some other areas around the caps that look like damage. So for the spark chasers, please give me an idea of what this type of symptoms this damage may cause, and it my board good enough to run and get the caps replaced?
Is this a salvageable board? Does it cause other things to burn out or malfunction?
Also the number on front of the ecu is E2T34463. So it appears that this is a is a 1G FWD California ECU! WTF!?!?! What does this mean as far as how the car should run?
Edit: It's a 90 at that! So is there any sensors that don't properly talk to the ecu? I have VR4 sensors, not 90...

notice how 2 of the caps are melted together...

Last edited:

Message Terry Posten and ask him, he is our resident re-capper. He will tell you that he needs to look at the board to see if it is ok. Even if it looks okoay, you will only know for sure when you get that melted stuff out of there and try to run the car with it.

Okayplayer

I'm thinking I need a new ecu. I am not sure of the parameters set on a '90 ecu, but I know there are some differences when it comes to sensors on the throttle body and what not. This car has always had problems with idling, not it does not want to boost with a good turbo on it. I'm wondering if all this can be related to a bad ecu in the car. It's not even eprom.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
What is the MD #, you are close to the FWD DSM ECU's I have listed.
Yes, the car will run with that ECU but pins 6 + 14 were swapped if it is a 90 board and 91 sensors were used.
What harness style do your TB sensors have - plug at each sensor or pigtail to a plug?

Okayplayer

The number is MD128623. There are no pigtails just the standard harness

Last edited:

TRBODSM

I know someone that can repair ecu's and has EPROM ecu's also. PM me and I'll give you his number. He lives in Longmont.

Okayplayer

I still want to know if this ecu that I have now will run my car properly... I will check to see if the wires are swapped around going to the ecu.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned