The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What clutch slave to use

EROCK970

Hey guy I need a new clutch slave. All I can find is a 1G eclipse or talon one. Can I use that 1 or it has to be 1 for a galant vr4. Thank for the help

turbowop

Depending on year, they are basically the same. I would make sure to get the one with the 3/4" bore, which has a red anodized piston. The larger bore one uses a green piston, and works like crap with a heavier aftermarket clutch.

turbowop

Here is what you want. It's Dorman brand, which I find works great. You can also go with OE parts, but for just the slave cylinder, I find decent aftermarket ones work fine.

click

Dorman part # CS37918 click

The other one available that I didn't link is a 13/16" bore, which is too large and doesn't have the needed travel for heavier clutches and is part of the reason so many people have disengagement issues. I think as far as GVR4's are concerned, 91's came with the 13/16" and 92's came with 3/4" from the factory. And I think all AWD DSM's came with 3/4" bores. My original was a 13/16" and gave me issues, so I installed a 3/4".

Last edited:

dmj

Raybestos Part #SC37918 or equivalent is what you need.Wop just bet me to it

Last edited:

etownpips

I would go OEM Mitsubishi only. 1g parts should fit just fine. I personally used AutoZones crap for a 1g on my vr4 and it worked but I will never cheap it again.

matt92vr4

My slave just pooped out on the way to work this morning. In a jam, I bought a new one from Advance Auto. How bad is this gonna be? Should I consider this a temporary fix or try to sport it for a while. I'm still on the stock clutch (I think).

Wizardawd

I've never had issues with Advance Auto slaves. Had issues with masters every once in a while, but after 50+ masters, maybe 1-2 were bad. Good odds imo.

Wiz

GSX_TC

50+ masters?? I've only been through a few OEM ones and you've been through 50+? that's just ridculous.

Wizardawd

That's over 10 years and over 100 DSMs. And it's been replacing the leaking OE masters when we do a clutch upgrade or just maintenance. The ACT 2600 tended to takes it toll on original masters.

Wiz

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Ahh I see, that makes sense because of more cars, when you simply said 50+ it kinda comes off as if it were talking about 1 or two cars haha. Because I've only used maybe 3 or 4 between my 2 diamond stars that I've had over 10 years.

4Grim

I used this slave cylinder on both my Galants with great results and never had a issue with either of them.

Exedy/Dankin Slave cylinder

My GVR4 has a full Fidanza 4.3 Clutch and flywheel setup and the other has a Exedy Stage 3 clutch and disk with Fidanza flywheel setup.

Last edited:

turbowop

I purchased and used the Exedy/Daikin MC/SC setup for 503 and it worked fine. It's not Japanese made though as you would expect from an Exedy part. It was Taiwanese. I'm not sure how well it would do with a heavy pressure plate.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned