The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird electrical problem

deusamo

So after owning the car for a few weeks, I finally had time to put in my boost gauge and manual boost controller today. I eliminated as many vacuum lines as possible, and disconnected the bcs entirely. The car ran absolutely great. After some adjusting, I got the boost set where I wanted it (10psi). I drove around a little more, and the car started acting a little funny. At first it happened pulling into a parking space. As I came to a stop, the engine hesitated for a moment, and a the CEL came on. But the car picked back up and the light immediately went away. I thought it was odd, so I got on my phone and googled bcs removal to see if it would throw a CEL. Everything I read said it wouldn't. So I drove away. Car ran great the rest of the day. Then on my way home tonight, I was pulling out of a parking lot, and the engine did the little half stall again, cel again, and this time the radio died. But again, all of it went away immediately. I got on the road, and turned on my bright lights. The radio died. Then I went back to low beams, and back to high beams, nothing weird. Back to low beams, nothing weird. 5 minutes later, clicked back to high beams, radio died. Each time the radio died, the cel would flick on for a second. A few of the times the engine would stutter for just a second.

I know step one is if you change something, change it back. I plan on reconnecting the bcs tomorrow (just the electrical, not the vacuum lines) and see if it helps. But I can't think of any way that anything else I did today could affect the electrical system. All I changed was a few vacuum lines, and the only ones I changed were the ones related to the intake and bcs. I eliminated my emissions ones awhile back with no ill effect. I'm going to monkey with it tomorrow when I get time. I don't have time tonight, so I figured I would throw the question up in case I missed something stupid. Thanks for the help, guys.

xaisomboun

My car did some crazy stuff like that too when I first got it. A friend told me to check my grounds, especially on the battery. I have a relocated trunk battery and the previous owner screwed the ground onto the rear bumper bracket thing. I soon found it that wasnt enough metal to metal coverage so I made a new ground somewhere else and now most (if not all) of my weird electrical problems have gone away.

citymunky

+1

Sounds like loose are broken grounds. I have a problem in my old 1979 Benz with the radio and speedometer backlights would go crazy if I turned on the headlights one morning to the point my speedometer started to smoke. I have to wait until sunrise to start driving again. It turned out the chassis to transmission 4ga ground wire mount bolt felt off the bellhousing while driving. I replace the bolt, and speedometer and no more problems.

deusamo

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll go buy some wire and make new grounds as soon as I have some time. Fortunately I don't have to drive the car, so I can just let it sit until I can get it fixed. Any recommendation on the wire gauge for ground? I'm assuming bigger than factory since it's pretty tiny.

Also, I have an unrelated question. The inevitable occurred, I got an exhaust ticket. I also got a no inspection ticket and no front license plate ticket. Yay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif So here are the other questions (let me know if I should start another thread for these, but I figured this would reduce clutter).

1.) what would be a good, quiet muffler? The car came with a faux cat and 2.5" exhaust. I'm not sure of the muffler brand, but it's pretty loud. It's not terrible, but it definitely draws attention. I'd like to avoid said attention. Advice?

2.) Registration requires that there be no illuminated dummy lights and my 4ws and ABS lights are on. Any easy way to switch them off? My 4ws doesn't work and will soon be blocked off, so I don't care about that light. I'm not 100% on the status of my ABS, now that I think of it. It may have been eliminated, I'll have to check. Any advice on checking that? How about turning it off?

3.) What is the best way to secure a front license plate? I'm using zip ties right now out of necessity, but I'd obviously like to use something a little more stable.

Thanks again for the help guys.

citymunky

I would find the problem 1st before buying wire you might not need (it could be a loose connection also).

1) IDK
2) Remove the Speedometer assy and remove those lights from behind.
3) IDK what came stock for the front plate, but I didn't have anyway to mount it. When to Advance Auto Parts and got a $5 plastic plate hold, drilled 2 holes in between the slates(IIRC 1/2" diameter), use two long as bolts with nuts from Home Depot and mounted my plate. I also had to drill the plate.

DSC00882.jpg

xaisomboun

For number 3, I just used zipties to secure my front plate... ghetto but it works and I didnt need to drill anything. Havent had a problem with that since I've owned the car.

Last edited:

deusamo

Well the zip ties are holding. And I found a place that does state inspection for $15 and they basically only check your lights and tires. I'm still hunting down the electrical issue, though. And I could really use some advice on a quiet muffler. It doesn't even have to be 2.5", I just need it to not attract attention.

James

Let me just say that I love Florida.

No inspections / no front plates.

And I've never got a ticket for exhaust, and I run 3in turbo back no cat into a loud magnaflow.

It's actually to loud for me.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned