The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vr4 thermostat housing same as 1g dsm?

trunks

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I found one post that said it would work but I want to make sure it has spots for all 3 sensors on it and I cannot tell from pitures on vendors sites. Thanks!

524of1000

the turbo Tstat will work, however, you will need a 1g radiator as well.

SouthCaliVR4

I think he's talking lower housing. Sorry I'm not sure on the lower or I would have chimed in on verification. On the upper does it not just lack the a/c sensor port & add a rad cap? if you don't mind two caps you don't need to change the rad.

trunks

Yeah - the lower part that bolts onto the head. I've got one out in the garage which doesn't have the extra port on the back, but I'm not sure where it came from.

ktmrider

My understanding is that the GVR4 lower housing has one extra AC sensor which faces the firewall. Pic here, #4 in the drawing:

img.php

trunks

Okay cool. I hope Mitsu still sells them. JB weld isn't holding and I'm not sure exactly where the crack even is.

Thanks for the help.

trunks

It seems I just ordered "the last one on the planet". This only fuels my paranoia about finding parts for this thing down the road. I'm going to end up on a tlc show for hoarding car parts..

You worry too much. There are tons of parts for these cars you just have to look.
I was going to send you my thermostat housing for free. Unfortunately i waited till this morning only to find out you have one already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mitsuturbo

these are EASY to find

there are likely literally millions of 6g galants out there that probably have this piece on them

Good to know. I need to figure out what else has these little idiosyncrasies. #488 came without and engine or trans. I picked up a 1g engine with all the brackets and accessories and have learned the front motor mount bracket and NOW the T-stat housing is different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Anyone got anything else to point out? [\HIJACK] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

656of1000

The a/c compressor is different, in case you were wondering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

raptorWagon

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
On the upper does it not just lack the a/c sensor port & add a rad cap? if you don't mind two caps you don't need to change the rad.

The outlet on the upper housing on a 1g is angled differently than a GVR4, and 2g dsm tstat upper housing is just the same but even differs from a 1g.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned