The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

thermostat wiring

4doorboost

so when i purchased my car it has a japanese motor in it, pretty similar but minor differences. the problem is the wiring for the thermostat housing has been hacked up and i dont know which wires go where. there are five of them and two go to one terminal in the top and the other 3 go to prongs on the bottom. does anyone know which colors go where or a place i can find a diagram. thanks
bryce ocain

Struc

A little searching is a good thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've posted this at least 3 times already.

Blue/Black, single wire sensor, A/C Condenser Fan, Normally open
Green/Red and Green/Black, 2 wire sensor, A/C Clutch lockout, Normally closed
Green/Black and Yellow/Green, 2 wire sensor, ECU Temperature sensor, variable ohm reading
Yellow/Green, single wire sensor, Cluster temp gauge, variable ohm reading.

4doorboost

definately i found the colors but the thing is i have 2 green/yellow and two green/black so which is which is my ? does it matter which green yellow goes where, cause i dont run the fan off of the switch anymore so dont care about the blue or black/green

Struc

Well, the simple answer is to touch one of them to the sensor, and see which one moves the dash needle. Otherwise, you'll have to trace it back.

I'm guessing that if you trace the wires back to behind the engine (unhook everything and pull the wiring harness up where you can see and work on it), you'll be able to tell which ones belong together.

grocery_getter

Quoting 4doorboost:
definately i found the colors but the thing is i have 2 green/yellow and two green/black so which is which is my ? does it matter which green yellow goes where, cause i dont run the fan off of the switch anymore so dont care about the blue or black/green

Which fan did you run off the switch you mean?

The sensor for the radiator fan is on the bottom of the radiator, not on the thermostat housing.
The wires on the thermostat housing that are for the fan are for the AC fan.

So here:
1. You have the single lone sensor on the back of the thermostat housing, facing the firewall that is for AC condenser fan.
2. The 2 wires sensor on top is for AC clutch lockout.

If you don't have ac anymore or also have the ac fan on an independent switch then you can ignore 1 and 2 above.

3. You have to connect the green/black and yellow/green to the ecu temperature sensor that's how the ecu can read your coolant temp.
4. The other yellow/green is for your cluster temp gauge.

You can figure out which yellow/green is for the ecu temp sensor and which one is for the cluster gauge by either doing a continuity test all the way to the ecu side of the yellow/green or just do a touch test like Curt suggested and see which yellow/green moves the temp gauge in the cluster.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned