The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Differences between the galant vr4 4g63 and 1g dsm 4g63

socalgvr4

What if any differences from the perspective of the transmission, sensors on the engine, or ecu are there between a 1G awd DSM/Talon and the vr4?
Basically, if one were to swap the engine from a vr4 into a talon, what would be things to look out for ? (assuming the use of the 1g talon ECU in this case?

524of1000

ummm... their pretty much a direct swap. just make sure all the splines on the drivetrain are the same. I do believe the intake pipe and battery are mounted in slightly diffrent locations tho...

mitsuturbo

Quoting socalgvr4:
What if any differences from the perspective of the transmission, sensors on the engine, or ecu are there between a 1G awd DSM/Talon and the vr4?
Basically, if one were to swap the engine from a vr4 into a talon, what would be things to look out for ? (assuming the use of the 1g talon ECU in this case?

Sensors ON the engine are all in precisely the same place. One or both of the brackets that go from the engine to the rubber filled mounts near the radiator and/or firewall are slightly different (i believe it's only one of them). Vacuum hoses and solenoids go different places. ECUs have different timing curves, and IIRC the G's curve is more aggressive. I think those are the only differences.

Quoting mitsuturbo:

One or both of the brackets that go from the engine to the rubber filled mounts near the radiator and/or firewall are slightly different (i believe it's only one of them).

Hmmm can you confirm this, perhaps elaborate? My car came with no engine, transmission, or tcase. I picked up the engine and all the brackets accessories etc from a 1g talon. If there is a bracket that is different which I have not previously heard about I would like to know before I start putting it all together.

FOR SURE, the mount bracket that bolts directly to the engine block for the front mount is different. Get one from a VR4 or Galant GSX. Otherwise, the engine won't sit at the right angle in the chassis, potentially causing driveshaft vibrations/alignment issues, cv shaft premature wear, and exhaust alignment issues.

Quoting socalgvr4:

Obviously later 1G's had a 7-bolt, which means many internals aren't the same. But VR4 into 1G this isn't really a problem, as the 6-bolt is stronger. The t-stat housing is different, the 1G's have a radiator cap built into theirs, in galants the cap is on the radiator itself. The galant trannies have a taller but weaker 1st gear. The intakes off of the turbo are different, the pipe that bolts to the compressor housing is different. Vacuum line routing is slightly different. But that's all I can think of.

curtis

Thermostat housing has an extra sensor on ours. Its in the rear and is an oh crap lets turn both fans on with 100% voltage were getting hot. If you want just run the said wire to a switch inside and connect it to the tunnel off the switch so if you want to turn on the fans you can manually. Oh and the GVR4 motors are from a man's car not some faggoty girlie mobile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptorWagon

I always wondered what that sensor on the back of tstat housing was, and to go with that, the AC temp switch sensor is mounted directly on top of the upper half of the tstat housing (where the cap would be for a dsm). That upper half with the outlet itself points out at a different angle than a GVR4, I believe a 2G dsm is at a more acute angle than a 1g, if I'm not mistaken.

The only thing I see wrong about this topic is, why are we talking about swapping a GVR4 heart into a dsm, it should be the other way around! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif
Where's the JSB Mafia, when you need em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned