The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Connections on thermostat housing?

Lucas03ES

So I have tried looking, but I haven't come across anything that answers my questions. First, there are a couple connections to my thermostat housing that are a bit messed up, the white connector on the top, with two connections in it, what is it for? The previous owner of my car had just taken two connectors and pushed them on, and they just fall out. Also, what about the connector on the bottom with a single outlet for one wire? They had also done the same with that, but it was holding better, but the wire broke somewhere, so what one would I have to reconnect it to (color)? I am trying to figure this out because my temp gauge does not work, and I have no idea if the cooling fan is switching on, and I do not want to risk the car overheating.

My aftermarket fan does work because I tested it with a 9v battery, it is spliced into the blue/blk and blu/wht wires for the original fan, thats it.

Thank you as always and all input it greatly appreciated, thanks!

Lucas03ES

I tried searching for a few things relating to the thermostat housing, and not much came up. The only thing I was able to figure out if that the one with a single wire goes to the cockpit gauge, but not what color wire it has. What is the one on top for?

CarRacer

I searched for +thermostat +housing +wiring in the newbie, general, and technical sections and came up with this.

Edit: found this image as well that may help you visualize what is what.
img.php

Last edited:

Lucas03ES

Hmm it was probably because I was only searching in the how to / info board. I put a new wire on the one that sends a signal to the gauge cluster, and it now works. My thermostat housing has a radiator cap on top of it, so could it be from a dsm? Would not having the grn/blk and grn/red (I think those are the colors, i'm not by the car right now) make the cooling fan not work? I don't even know if it doesn't work, but I don't want to risk it.

Hertz

Staff member
If your A/C electrical is still intact, turning the car ON (doesn't need to be running), turning the heat/A/C blower fan on, and pushing the A/C on (green or amber) should kick on the fans, I think.

Yes, if you have a radiator cap on the thermostat housing someone has evidently installed a DSM motor in your GVR-4.

Lucas03ES

I know someone swapped a 7 bolt ottom end into it from a '91 tsi awd, but its the original top end and stuff.

91 awd came with 6 bolt i thought. or was this motor in something else before the 91 awd? my motor is a 6-bolt with the dsm thermo housing. i use the dsm radiator too though.

91's are definitelly, originally 6bolts. The 7bolt arrived in 95 with its plague called "crank walk". All though not all 2g's were affected by this.

raptorWagon

As far as 1Gs are concerned, 7 bolts arrived in 92.5-94.

Jeff, not necessarily true if it has a radiator cap on the tstat housing that the whole motor was changed, I had to replace my whole housing and ended up putting a 1G on it, thus now have two radiator caps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucas03ES

Sorry guys, I meant a '97 tsi, my mistake. Anybody know about this connector? Its dark outside or I would get you guys a pic, i'll try to find one...

Lucas03ES

This is what I am talking about, I noticed both fans kicked on when the car got a little warm idling though... What would this be for then?

downsized_0115000111.jpg

maybe its for ecu temp signal? the single wire is for the gauge i think. the two wire next to it should be the thermo switch for fans so maybe this is for the ecu.

actually the picture shows it. its number 3 the air cond. coolant switch. its just in a different spot than a dsm thermo housing. wires should be green/black and yellow/green. dont matter which side they go on.

Lucas03ES

Hmm, I know the wire for the gauge is correct, but could someone have messed up the wiring for the other switch? The two green wires in the picture are the ones that were originally just pushed in there, and easily fell out.

really you should download the circuit diagram in the library section. it says what color wires go where. or check a dsm chiltons or something.

Struc

I posted this a year or so ago:
Quote:

Ok, found it. I spent a lot of time looking through the online manuals to find this stuff, since all my wires were toasty when I bought 56/1000. Unfortunately, there are duplicate wire colors, so I hope you have some idea of which wires go where - otherwise you'll need to trace them back.

Blue/Black, single wire sensor, A/C Condenser Fan, Normally open

Green/Red and Green/Black, 2 wire sensor, A/C Clutch lockout, Normally closed

Green/Black and Yellow/Green, 2 wire sensor, ECU Temperature sensor, variable ohm reading

Yellow/Green, single wire sensor, Cluster temp gauge, variable ohm reading.

Lucas03ES

Thank you thank you thank you thats exactly what I need, just one thing, do the wires on the AC clutch lockout matter what one goes where?

Struc

No, they just need to make contact so they pass the closed circuit.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts