The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

VR4 lip pt 2 with pics ** Shipping will start on 3/10**

creeping_death

0: turbowop
1: JSchleim18
2: dustyduff
3: 381gvr4
4: charmcity
5: Tre3zy
6: Sw4n3e
7: 4Grim
8: porcaro
9: Garfield Wright
10:prove_it
11:Ralli380Gvr4
12:Circuit
13:bustedsm
14. Jesse_W
15:Jordangvr4
16:thekid
17: Hittman
18: ducttapeguy
19. boosted_85
20. Scientist
21. Gvr4-330
22. Mariovr4
23. turbofoxlx
24. Never1der
25. Creeping_death

turbofoxlx

Your killing me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Any info on this would make my day!

Tre3zy

i think this thing is dead.... he hasnt replied for quite a while now

It's not dead, John is just really busy with day to day stuff. This is very much still alive so stay tuned /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tre3zy

cool thnx for the update garfield

boostx

Update,
The first lip and mold has been completed but we are not happy with it so a different material is being used to make the mold .The new mold is going to be made silicone. The lip should require very little prep work before it can be painted but it will need a good cleaning to remove the solvent that’s left behind from the silicone

Last edited:

4thStroke

How many are you going to make?

Right now Im just tire kicking, but if there are any left over and I have some spare cash, its definitely something Id be interested in, I just dont want to commit only to waste your time down the road.

im ready when these are. this will be a huge upgrade from the nasty evo body kit some d-bag po put on it.

curtis

Damnnnnnnnnnn thats a mean looking dag with wings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

And for all you guys wondering the original is inside the silicone for mold purposes

curtis

I've talked to John alot about this and his guy works for the big companies in Orlando and has been doing it for 20+ years. I believe he's got it under control.

boostx

As Curtis said he has been doing this for 20 years and his work has been seen all over the country who knows you may have seen it on tv or in person and don't even know.

boosted_85

silicone molds are mainly used as a splash mold to fill a voids or made as a bladder/bag. Since the lip has no draft issues besides the end caps it should of been made as one piece with end caps at the end but in this case you parted the part this way because no two cars has the same sag. The silicone mold is going to be very filmy once under vacuum (in a bag) and will not retain its shape good unless this is going to be 1 layer of cf and then shot with a chopper gun.(porta potty style= junk). If that's the case they need to make a good fixture so that the mold will retain its shaped. Another problem I see with this mold is that it has no flanges around the part line. Once you lay up the part it will be difficult for anyone to take out the casting without scratching or ripping the silicone mold because the carbon/fiberglass flashing will overhang off the mold in a 90 degree manner. I've been doing composite work my whole life and where I work, we're known to be the best in automotive/motor sports composite shop in the world by our select customers. And I know that particular mold is going to be a hassle to make good castings without destroying the mold. I guess I'll just wait until I see some castings before I call this another carbon fiber failure on the galantvr4.org

btw, who is this infamous composite guy and where can I see his work?

Last edited:

boostx

Quick question for you. How long have you been working with molds, cf and fiberglass

boosted_85

I've been doing this since I'm 11 yrs old and now I'm 25. I was under the old Tom Good one the original pioneers of the Vacuum Infusion process as a apprentice between me and my co workers we took vacuum infusion and pre preg to the next level.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned