The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Venting to air!?!?

prove_it

AMEN!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Mine ran like sh^t till a put back the tube. I had to remove it casue the BOV location moved so had to custom a tube, But put it back you car will like you.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Quoting chromeglock:
If memory serves me correct, I put a 95 GSX together when i was a noob to the mitsubishi thing, ran an Injen intake and Greddy RS bov vented to the air. Car had massive fuel cut problems all the way until... you guessed it, started recurculating. Solved a rich idle condition too... another way to vta is with i believe a speed density set up... but i could just be pulling that out of my a$$

If you run speed density you could vent to the atmosphere, with no problems. I would only set that up if I couldn't mount my diverter valve close to the intake or the piping would make it difficul to recirculate.
The advantage to recirculating is that the turbo will spool faster and maintain a good spool during shifts.
It's better to recirculate. period.

conquesttsi

Quoting Rausch:
^ And that should wrap this thread up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

x2...If you wanted to Vent you should have got an SRT4

Never would I drive any dodge. Let alone a neon. I have a dsm that recirculated. I know it run better recirculated, through trial and error. Just wasn't sure with the gvr4. It's a different animal than a 2g dsm. A true MMc vehicle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

prove_it

Don't over do the faces. It gets annoying.

Let me go on record saying this: Whether you vent to the air or not is personal prefrance, just like wheels, body kits and gay wings. If you like the way your car sounds vented to the air go for it, just make sure you have taken the steps to do it properly i.e. MAFT or speed density. Just because you don't like the way it sounds doesn't mean that it is DUMB or GAY. Just like somepeople like SRT4's and Caveliers, not my cup of tea but for some people it is. And some people make some fast cars out of them. Just remember, before you start flameing someones personal preferance, not everyone wants to be just like YOU... (my last post on this thread since I have better things to do besides argue.... Drive on DBossMan.....

turbowop

Nobody's flaming because he likes the sound. We're flaming because that sound should be a by-product of performance, not "let's disconnect sh*t and half-ass things to make my BOV m0ar audible" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif . Form should follow function, not the other way around. Unless you like being called a ricer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

H05TYL

I disagree, form very rarely follows function where cars are concerned. From things like the rear windows not going all the way down, to people re-painting cars because the original colour is a bit faded.

To take a slightly different tack, is looking and sounding "good" (which is an entirely subjective thing) not also a function?

Rather than arguing whether we should or shouldn't do something based on our own preferences, why can't we base this discussion on facts - rather than opinions.

It was mentioned earlier that a recirculating bov improves response. I've also heard that introducing pre-heated air to the turbo's inlet reduces response. It's commonly believed that having no bov at all induces compressor surge as the pressurised air tries to escape back though the turbo.

Ideally some kind of controlled testing with a high speed camera and a stopwatch would confirm which theory is correct.
I've done some back to back testing and found the difference between the 3 options to be negligible.

I asked before why the momentary rich condition when the atmospheric venting bov on a maf equipped car opens whilst the engine is under no load is problematic - no-one answered so I'll ask it again.

btw: I've changed my bov back to a recirculating type some time ago, as I'm over the noise.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
I asked before why the momentary rich condition when the atmospheric venting bov on a maf equipped car opens whilst the engine is under no load is problematic - no-one answered so I'll ask it again.

The reason its problematic is because it usually leads to the car loading up and stalling when coming to a stop. It also can cause a bog between shifts due to an even worse rich condition when shifting under hard acceleration. The reason this happens is that once the air passes the meter the ECU adds the corresponding amount of fuel to match that air, if you dump that air out to the atmosphere the fuel is still being supplied and will cause a brief rich condition.

John

brisvr4

Quoting turbowop:
Nobody's flaming because he likes the sound. We're flaming because that sound should be a by-product of performance, not "let's disconnect sh*t and half-ass things to make my BOV m0ar audible" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif . Form should follow function, not the other way around. Unless you like being called a ricer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

Well said.
I actually have a new HKS bov which is recirculated through a FP intake and it is still loud enough to scare little old ladies on the side of the street and WRX drivers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally I don't have a problem is someone decides to vent to air, just don't come on here with stupid questions if it doesn't work out!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned