The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

questions

So last night I realized I still have a bit of a road ahead of me on the Galant. Launches hard, but each time I shift it'd lose spool and just not performing like it should (lost to a car that ran a 15 flat in the 1/4)

Things I think are cuasing this. First off, the BOV opening to atmosphere. Gonna be picking up an adapter to allow me to recirculate the air with an HKS BOV (what's on the car right now).

Second, fuel cut. I believe most of this to be be caused by the BOV, but also being on 450cc injectors. I just got finished installing my RC 550cc injectors.

Third, my exhaust. Still stock DP, and stock catback. Just the cat and resonator have been removed. Was looking into getting a 3" dp and 2.5" catback as I don't want anything too loud.

So here's where my question comes in. If I throw on the 550cc injectors and recirce my BOV, should I be safe to run the 2g MAF I have? And also, Do you think i'm on the right page as far as loosing spool between shifts?

Rough mod list as of right now
BC 272's
2.5" intercooler piping
FMIC
14b with 16g hotside
o2 dump
2-stage boost controller (DD at 12psi)
HKS SSQV
550cc injectors
Stock DP
Stock Catback

Feel free to break it down. Just trying to fix the previous owners mistakes, so no offense taken

toybreaker

iconoclast
Recirculating the measured air will help your post shift stumbles.

Fuel cut is done as a safety measure by the ecu if it "sees" more airflow than it's calibrated for at a given rpm/load. Changing injectors will not change the onset of fuel cut. Only modifying/removing the code in the ecu will do that.

Many people have run the 550/2g maf combo without any additional mods. Most of them have had issues with too much timing for a given amount of airflow. This causes knock under certain conditions.

As far as the exhaust goes, the noise level is much more about the mufflers/resonators than the piping size. A very quiet system can be made with larger pipes, but it may require adding some additional silencers/mufflers/resonators.

One of your next mods should be a chip/safc/dsm link or some way to get the timing and load maps to fit your set-up.

Sounds like you're thinking things thru and you will have a sweet running car shortly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

Still a process haha. As far as I know, yes the only fuel mod is the injectors I did. It's around 12-14psi when it hits fuel cut. Still need an AFC or something to tune with. Money is what it all comes down to

As for the exhaust, i'm leaning torwards a 3" setup, I just don't want any excuse to get pulled over as I only live a block away from the police station.

I'd go DSM link or keydiver IMO. I'm running a similar setup on 1947(DD also) with keydiver stage3, 550's, AFPR, rewired FP, and recirculated HKS at 14-15 psi, hard piping and IC without issues. Certainly wouldn't come close to getting beat by a 15sec car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif Address these issue's and all should be good. BTW, I've been running on stock exhaust too. Now that it's becoming a rattle box(damn heat shields) I've started on purchasing exhaust components. But had none of the issues you are experiancing. My 2

That's why I was shocked. Pulls hard in gear but each time i'd shift i'd just lose all momentum due to the turbo losing all spool. Got everything sorted. Found a vac leak at the BISS screw today (turns out the o-ring was bad). Picking up the recirc pipe tomorrow and we'll see what happens.

BLT would of been my next suggestion. Might still want to. For me, where there's one, there were more. Easy and worth piece of mind. Definitely recirculate or you could get killed in the face by the good doctor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a BLT referring to? I'm not great with the acronyms just yet haha

Figured that was coming. Left myself open for it.

I still want to make a boost leak tester, but not going to bother until I can get my compressor back from my friends place

Well I picked up some hose to recirce the vented air and while at the store I picked up some supplies for a home made boost leak tester. Hooked it up, threw in some compressed air and holy boost leak batman. tb gasket was toast (rtv-ed), vacuum lines were unpluged (plugged), couplers were lose (tightened), and still need to source down a possible leak behind the intake manifold. I just hope it isn't the manifold gasket :/

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned