The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve cover torque spec and tightening pattern.

xaisomboun

When I did mine, all I did was go from the inside outwards in a circular pattern. Hand tightened all of them. Then re-checked the bolts after a day of driving to catch any loose ones.

Terry Posten

Exactly as listed.

I use a Snap-On nut driver and only hand tighten slightly.

Use Ultra Gray RTV sealant on the corners of the humps over the cam journals/CAS and a very small amount on the half moon spacer.

toybreaker

iconoclast

Be extra carefull on the two end bolts! (red arrows)

The cover is most likely to crack there.

I usually run them down same as Terry, with a 10mm socket on a 1/4 inch driver.

Start all the bolts a few threads by hand, and then run them down with the socket till they just barely touch the cover.

Starting in the center of the valley, I'll start to snug the cover hardly/barely just a scosche working from the center two bolts towards the outer sparkplug gaskets.

do not snug the two down on the t-belt end yet.

With the spark plug gaskets hardware in the valley barely snug, it's time to the work around the outer edges of the cover.

Again, starting in the center snug the hardware down and work your way to the ends in a
diagonal pattern. The cover is pretty thick on the edges, so you can go a little tighter without worry of cracking the cover except for those two in the center on the timing belt end of the cover, just barely snug those.

Go back to the center of the cover and snug the bolts up a lil tighter in the valley working from the center out.

Go around the outside again, working diagonally

Do those t-belt end bolts last, and just barely snug them down.

Repeat the process a few times ( to get the gaskets to compress evenly )

Do one final pass and bring everything up to the correct torque values.
starting in the valley, then the outside, then the two on the t-belt end.

After a few heat cycles, check and tighten then up as necessary.

Re-check at your next oil change and you should be golden.

Good luck, and post up a pic when you're done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit

Could someone please post up the torque values?

(... irrc, should be in inch pounds )

can't search the library on this machine

Thanks!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Rocker Cover Bolts
2-3 ft/lbs
2.5-3.5 Nm
Sourced was the DSM 4g63 engine manual and CSM 89 4g61 engine manual.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned