The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve cover bolt issues

Boos929

The previous owner of my car stripped out the valve cover bolts to the head am I better helio coiling it not sure on spelling or am I better off getting a new head if so what cars had a head that works with our cars

LordAthey

In the past when this has happened to me I used a tap and die. I was just very careful when I did it and I was able to get bigger bolts. Never had an issue with it.

JNR

I wouldn't go as far as getting a new head, unless yours needs one anyway.

You can helicoil them, although there is a brand "timesert" (iirc) that are easier to install and supposedly more durable...

whatever route you go, lay down a bunch of towels/rags and use some grease on your bit/tap (if used), so you limit the amount of chips and be sure to clean up real well, as even a small piece of alum. shaving can wreak havoc on the engine internals.

rdomeck

You could always do the work one bolt hole at a time with the valve cover on. This takes care of two problems......1. You keep the aluminum chips from entering into the engine. 2. You have a guide to keep the drill bit straight.

Boos929

The heads fine car runs and drives just leaks a bit from valve cover and falls right on the manifold

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned