The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Excessive oil in i/c piping after cam/spring install

BoostedAWD91

After installing new cams, valve springs and lifters, i am getting excessive oil in my i/c piping. I have Tial BOV which is mounted straight up and just after letting the car run for a little bit or go for a quick ride, the bov ports are covered in oil which has never happened before. I have a catch can running off two fittings on the top of the valve cover and it is empty. We accidently dropped a valve keeper down the one oil galley in the head which i dont think would be the issue but im not sure.

Last edited:

belize1334

There's only two ways I can imagine oil getting into the charge pipes. It's either blowing from the turbo or getting pulled in from the valve-cover vent. The latter is tied to blow-by and that could be affected by new springs and cams. I'd bypass the catch can and restore the valve-cover vent and PCV to stock. Then put an inline plastic fuel filter ($5 at the parts store) in the vcc hose and see how quickly it gets dirty.

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

i guess i would swap out valve covers and try it. What would make cams and springs make it 100x worse. The factory ports on the valve cover were welded shut and two 10an fittings welded on the top which run straight to a vented catch can. What could i do to stop this or help this. Could a possible old/dirty inline filter in the turbo feed line cause any of this? Its not really old but i have not checked it since it was installed last year

BoostedAWD91

no not yet. I spent a few hours with a little magnet trying to find that keeper in the oil pan and it must not be in there cause i cant find it.

1941Galant

I saw that keeper fall down the oil drain in the head, and I'm pretty sure there is no way that's going to damage anything. The screen on the oil pickup is there for a reason, remember those big chunks of Al. that were stuck to the screen when we pulled Sean's old bottom end apart? If I were you, I would look towards the turbo for the oil in the I/C pipes. You don't have your crank case hooked up to the intake, so there is virtually no other way for oil to get into your I/C pipes.

belize1334

Oh, I missed that part. You have a catch can but it's not getting vacuum from the intake pipe? In that case that eliminates that as a source.

BoostedAWD91

no its not getting any vaccumm
here is a picture of how the catch can is setup
img.php

Last edited:

belize1334

Then your turbo is the only oil source with proximity to the charge pipes. Look into your compressor housing and see what's up.

BoostedAWD91

OK now I'm completely stumped. Took off all my ic piping and the pipe from ic to tb is the only pipe with oil. The pipe from the Turbo to ic doesn't have a drop of oil in it. So where do I go from here?

belize1334

Do your charge pipes connect to the top of the IC or the bottom. Maybe there's just oiled pooled in there and it reached a critical level and now it's getting blown into the charge pipes. If the I/O aren't at the bottom of the end-tanks you could trying pulling the IC and flushing it out and then reinstalling it.

BoostedAWD91

I thought that and when I took the pipes off I stuffed a rag into the ic and it came out dry. The pipes are in the middle of the intercooler. I don't see how I'm only getting oil in the one pipe

1941Galant

There is absolutely no logical way for you to only get oil in the upper pipe without it going through the lower pipe first. Have you pulled your intake off to have a look in the compressor yet?

Barnes

I would recommend taking all your pipes off, and your intercooler. Clean *all* of them thoroughly. Yeah, removing and cleaning the intercool is a pain, but at least it will eliminate the possibility of residual oil in the IC throwing off your diagnosis.

BoostedAWD91

i took all the pipes off yesterday to check and the upper pipe was the only one i found with oil in it which makes absolutly no sense. All the other pipes and intake were completly dry without a drop of oil. Im gonna try what u suggested and take off the intercooler and see if there is a pool of oil in there and clean it out. There has to be oil in there still from the 16G i had on which was blowing oil. The turbo on car now isnt blowing any oil at all. Ill let ya know what i find

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned