The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head "nicks" and sealing up to valve cover

socalgvr4

Ive spent some time understanding why my valve cover leaks on a car, only to discover that the previous owner may have gone at the top of the head with the edge of a screw driver or some other device. doh!

In any case, it has a few nicks in it, and wondering what you all did (rtv in those spots??), or figuring out how to smooth out those spots.

Thanks in advance -

EHmotorsports

Depends on how deep the gouges are but a block sand gets most out to lightly take the high spots. But a thin film of silicone doesn't hurt.

Pictures would be nice to really determine what is going on. If you are still in Hillsboro I'm very close if you ever had any questions or conserns.

Last edited:

prove_it

I wouldn't sand it, it could get really fine metal in your oil, which the bearings will hate.

I would just put a little rtv on it. simple issue, simple fix.

Side note: If your running higher boost and still have a factory breather system, you could be leaking from excessive crank pressure. It will force oil past the gasket.

EHmotorsports

you have to take the Obvious precautions. I assume we are all above a 8th grade education?
and if not then I guess its natural selection.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

^LOL

If the nicks are a little too deep for silicone you could clean the area really well and apply some JB Weld.

prove_it

Quoting EHmotorsports:
you have to take the Obvious precautions. I assume we are all above a 8th grade education?
and if not then I guess its natural selection.

Your posting this in the newbie section. Believe me, some don't take precautions. To you and me the obvious is second nature to us, but to a guy who works on a car an hour a month and has a desk job, no.

EHmotorsports

It's ok we have already talked and he is more then capable.

prove_it

Ok, just never know.

EHmotorsports

agreed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned