The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Unbelievable.

BpuVR4

Guys im absolutely embarrassed to post this because it's nothing more than negligence. Anything more than meeting the eye that should be checked? These A arms easy to find?

maroonmetallic

RockAuto is cheap & includes new balljoint!
Might as well replace both of them!!

-Shawn

turbowop

HOly sh*t! You better check out the rest of the undercarriage as well. That's no bueno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

bobdole

Wow that is nuts. Go to Rock Auto for the arms.

James

Wow

raptorWagon

Reminds me of when my trailing arm shock mount failed on 1350 but worse! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Hope you haven't been driving like that or at least aren't driving it anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:

GSX_TC

Holy crap, what did you do in order for that to happen? Or is that just rotted out from rust?

James

Metal? Looks like paper.

G

Staff member
Tsk, tsk, tsk. Chicago salt. Need moar underbody flushes.

BpuVR4

Quoting GSX_TC:
Holy crap, what did you do in order for that to happen? Or is that just rotted out from rust?

Honestly I thought my bearings were due along w an alignment. I was driving it sparingly the whole time...took a turn today then I heard it give. I literally was shocked to hell.

donkeylips

Wow. And I thought my cars were rusty. My current DD has tons of holes but the A-arms aren't quite at that point. Although I had a 1g that had holes in the A-arms.

BpuVR4

Any insight into how intensive this job may be?

raptorWagon

Not that intensive, because you can still buy new control arms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

GreenGSX

I just finished putting new arms on the One Lap car. The Dorman arms are $80 a side on Amazon with free shipping for Prime members. You're going to need a sawz-all to cut the forward bushing bolt because its most likely frozen to the sleeve in the bushing. You have to cut both sides by slipping the blade between the mount the side of the bushing. You have to order new bolts from Mitsu so do that before you start the job. The rear saddle mount is 4 bolts. Two 14mm and a pair of 17mm. I would oil the snot out of them the night before to help them come off for the first time. The Dorman arms come with a new ball joint and the front/rear bushings.

The Dorman arms are good quality. I took a set off my track GSX and put them on the VR4 when we were building them in 2009. I just replaced them yesterday because one side was mashed when I had a hub fail on track. The ball joints on both sides were excellent.

Tim

MellowVR4

Hay caramba

BpuVR4

would you guys say that doing them in pairs is necessary, or just per condition?

boostedinaz

If one of them is that bad they are both that bad. Just do both and feel much safer knowing your spindle won't suddenly fall off.

prove_it

Agreed. I put a set of the dorman ones on two years ago. The right ball joint got loose about 15k later. Good quality in the arm. Ball joints are cheap. I put in some new OEM joints now and the arms are great. I would look at getting new rear bushings if they don't come with the arm.

BpuVR4

ordered a pair of Dormans last night from rockauto.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned