The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TURBO questions

clevr4

the only reason I'm hesitant about getting Mistu set up is I don't really know whats good. I guess I can get a 16g, but what about headers? and down pipe? I want to run externally gated. will I have to well flapper? my 3 inch exhaust will be able to work with it? I guess I haven't done the work to get where its at now. so I am not familiar with how things fit and what I have room for. I guess ill start with a manifold, turbo and go from there. my down pipe is connect in a weird pattern by 5 bolts.

clevr4

okay so I have made up my mind. and I think you all have swayed my decision. I think I will go back to mitsu flange and just figure out my exhaust options from there. I was reading about the fp manifold, they still have them for pretty good price. now the turbo. is a 16g going to do the trick ? or should I go a tad bigger? are these turbos oil and water cooled? can I run external easily? whats the best place to buy one... I'm tired of smoking haha . thanks for the advice all I know I'm filled with questions

clevr4

been researching for hours now.. I'm about to pull the trigger. he is what I got.

fp exhaust manifold
click

rre or ebay downpipe
click

big 16g or evo III turbo
I might hit this guy up for his turbo... but don't know if I can trust it. is that the right stamping?
click

then an o2 housing.... whats the benefits of running an evo o2 housing?

clevr4

sh*t strokin4dr didn't see you had a 16g for sale.

clevr4

sorry to keep blowing this up, but now I feel dumb. if you run a evo o2 housing you have to run internal wasegate? after o2 housing decision and you all opinion on where and what I should get. the only thing that is really frightening in this conversion is connecting the new downpipe to my current exhaust. I'm sure it will have to be custom done

prove_it

His current set-up is a t3 turbine housing with external gate, so chances are he'll need some welding done, or sell the DP and buy a mitsu flanged one.

I might have some parts to help him out. Shipping won't be fun.

clevr4

boosted 85 offered me a good setup

e16g turbo, will include all coolant and oil feed lines.
blue FP oil drain line plus gaskets
ETS over manifold pipe
fp manifold
punishment racing external 38mm o2 housing w/ new flex tube
tial 38 mm wastegate w/ blue spring (1 bar)

I think that's everything ill need besides the downpipe. so I think ill go with this

thomcasey

Excellent move. Great setup for a fun DD.

clevr4

thanks, so no evo 3 o2 housing so I can go with a cheapo downpipe from ebay?!

clevr4

okay just sent the money to boosted 85, only thing I seem to be missing is....... downpipe, maybe some exhaust gaskets? anyone have suggestions. expecially for the downpipe

boosted_85

buy a 1g awd ebay downpipe if you still have a stock cat. converter in place if not a 2g awd downpipe will eliminate your cat.

Last edited:

EfiniX

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
What are you power goals for the car, and how do you want it to make that power? That's the most important question your should ask yourself when selecting a turbo.

Most turbos T3 flanged are larger slow spooling turbos. You'll need to do extra work via tuning, or set up your car correctly to get these larger turbos to spool quickly. Typically, the DSM flanged turbos are what people use for quick spooling street turbos. In the grand scheme, the 50 trim is probably one of the quicker spooling T3 turbos out there.

If money is no object, a ball bering turbo is what you want. The FP HTA GT3076R is a sweet T3 flanged turbo, and could be made to spool quickly. Or, you could also just replace your junk Ebay turbo with a better quality 50 trim (Garrett, Turbonetics, whatever), and see better spool. On the journal bearing side of the house, you could go with an HX35, a Borg S366, or maybe even a T3 flanged 20G if you can find one.

If I were you, I swap back to a DSM flanged manifold, which gives you a wider range of quick spooling turbos that you'll actually be able to find new and used. You'll have the E316G, 20G, FP Green & Red, FP3052...The list goes on.

I can speak to this. I've got a T3/T04 Garrett frankenstein and even with porting, an FP mani, and 3" exhaust, my boost threshold is around 4k. Mind you, it kicks like a mule when it gets there, but if you want to run, you've got to keep those revs up.

clevr4

so I'm gearing up for this install. ordered a new drain line, with gaskets. now I'm in search of coolant lines? how many run to these turbos? I also have a hard line for the oil feed, will that work ? these little things might cause a headache come show time. so I mine as well work it out now.

prove_it

I recommend running the coolant lines if you can. Helps keep the turbo from coking up with oil. If you use a timer, or let the car cool down before shutting off, or even have an external oil cooler it's not as important. Lots of people run the MHI turbos without water lines and don't have problems, but I suspect on a DD after 20k+ miles the turbos internals aren't as clean as they could be.

Coolant lines can still be had at the dealer for a reasonable price. The oil feed on a stock B16G is fine feeding form the head in the stock location, as long as it's a oem line used. Oem lines have a small restrictor in them to stabilize the oil pressure.

Best idea is to post pics of the parts your getting ready so we can all see them to help guide you in this swap.

Note: I'd buy new SS exhaust manifold studs to the head and have them ready to put on in case they break. If they don't now is a good time to replace with new to prevent future headaches.

clevr4

thanks. I need to make a list of all the things required for the swap then, get em all together ad physically see where things go, then attack it head on. I think boosted is hooking me up with most of the gaskets. I'm not sure if there is a gasket to the down pipe. I have to get a coolant line, is there a single line or does I return somewhere? ill also be doing a coolant flush and full synthetic oil change while I'm pulling everything apart. since I'm fixing my oil burn off problem I think it would be best to invest in the synthetic.

I have searched the org and cant find an evo 3 install, it doesn't seem too hard. but its a lot of little things. any suggestions on priming the beast?

OldHairyBastard

To prime the turbo you could pull the power to the coils and crank but as long as you fire your car up and let it idle for a while before revving it up you should be fine.

prove_it

It's a used turbo so, it's gonna have some oil in it. You can add a little bit and turn the shaft by hand if your worried. I've never worried about it and haven't blown a turbo over lack of priming.

The 16G is identical externally to a stock 14b, so there are now write ups on the swap. Your coming from a mess back to stock pretty much.

Two coolant lines are used, one feeds from the thermostat housing and the other connects to the water pipe.

Again, pics of the parts, the water pipe, and current set-up will help us help you.

clevr4

most definitely, that bit of technical information is useful. I'm in the process of moving and trying to get rid of things before lease is up. so ill post some pictures this week. I think by sunday I will have my feet kicked up and will be mentally prepping for the task. ill go to the Mitsubishi dealer and order the gaskets and lines. if no luck there I hall return to the org in hopes of used stuff

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned