The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sheared turbo shaft...#3

Okayplayer

Hey fellas, I have a quick question before I put my rebuilt turbo on my car. Can a bad MBC cause a turbine wheel shaft to shear clean off? What would be the cause? I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong with the turbos. I hope it's just this no-name MBC that is junking my turbos and not the engine, or knock etc... Help me out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

GSX_TC

is your oil feed line clogged?

Okayplayer

No I have good oil feed, I checked that when the car was running and everything.

Okayplayer

BOV is good, no leaks, actuates fine.

Check oil pressure at the source of the oil feed and make sure that it is sufficient.

Okayplayer

I have good oil pressure. I took out the bad turbo and once I got the o2 housing off, the turbine wheel was sitting in it, the bearings were not seized, as a matter of fact the exhaust side bearing fell right out too.

beaner

What turbo and is the oil drain not stock? Where's the oil feeding from? Installed pics?

Okayplayer

It was a 14b feeding with a stock line from the head.

Okayplayer

I was running 14lbs of boost. What I'm trying to figure out though is would a malfunctioning boost controller do this to a turbo?

pauleyman

I don't see how a boost controller could cause this. A serious boost leak might but you would also run stupid rich on a mas setup unless you have a blow through setup or are using an SD setup or something.

grocery_getter

I've seen this happened twice in 15 years. One on a 14B, second one on a garret turbo. Its rare but it happens. The wheel is friction welded to the shaft. When the weld fails, the wheel comes off the shaft. Just your luck.

Okayplayer

But the thing is this is not the first time it's happened. 2 other turbos suffered the same fate. I had a 14b on the car when I bought it and it worked fine. So let me ask this, what happens when a boost controller fails?

CutlassJim

It doesn't control boost....

I will either

A)Be stuck open in which case you would run waste gate boost or

B)Get stuck closed and you would run infinite boost

I could see option B causing the problem but maybe your motor would blow up first?

Last edited:

thecman02

A boost controller will either stick closed. Giving you way more then 14psi which you would see with the boost gauge, or you'd get wastegate pressure. If you have a bad boost leak the turbo will blow trying to reach a pressure that it can't reach.

What is the oil pressure at the turbo feed? Unless you have a gauge coming off the head what is at the head can be quite a bit lower then off the oil filter housing or wherever your taking the oil pressure.

Last edited:

Okayplayer

I'm not sure of the pressure at the head but it is all a stock setup. I am considering running from the ofh again, but I don't want to over pressurize the oil going to the turbo. I know the MHI cartridge has a built in oil restrictor but is that enough?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned