The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trying to look for a Good radiator, your thoughts?

GSX_TC

Does Fluidyne or Mishimoto not make an all aluminum radiator for our cars? because all i see around are DSM applications. or am i missing something here, i could of sworn that GVR4's Radiators were different, i would try to get one from our buddy Garfield @ Tunersnation but im afraid i might never see a radiator with the way things have been going on lately on his behalf. unless im wrong and all that stuff got cleared up, chime in Garfield if i have it wrong. Am i going to be forced into stuffing a DSM radiator in there? any help is appreciated

Mike

Last edited:

Terry Posten

A DSM unit will work just fine. You just need to swap in a TEL water neck/t-stat top.

You can see one on my car in my rides post (link below in my sig).

My rad was an eBay unit. Came with twin fans. I think I paid around $150 shipped.

GSX_TC

ahhh nice, i do believe im already using a DSM thermostat housing too. but how about fitment with the stock brackets and spacing for the OEM fans?

turbowop

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a stock replacement radiator like a Modine. If it works for my cars, I'm sure it will work for yours. Why try to hack in a DSM unit and thermostat housing when you can use a stock fitment unit without issue, yanno?

GSX_TC

well i would prefer a unit that all aluminum as opposed to a plastic end tanked one.

dsmer06

I have a Mishimoto dsm radiator in my car with a couple nice slim aftermarket fans. I don't remember any fitment issues.

Terry Posten

A DSM unit is a bit shorter and you can use the same brackets like I did or make something.

Fan fitmint is only an issue if you have a large frame turbo. Then do a push/pull setup.

But as Wop said, you really don't need an all alum unit, just make sure you get a full thickness unit. Don't get a cheapie thin (one row or small two row).

GSX_TC

Quoting turbowop:
Why? Just for aesthetics?

Nah man, for durability. I use all aluminum radiators in my cars. I'm not gonna put in a plastic end tanked one. Im sure they work fine and all but in time, a well crafted all aluminum unit will last longer.

mikus

Evo 3 radiators work as well

Note these will be larger - an E16G will clear, but if you're running non-MHI you might have trouble. I couldn't fit one with my current parts

Don't let anyone beat you up for wanting one even if just for looks on a clean, maintained car -- there's a lot of aftermarket wheels & JDM bumpers out there. Here's an E3 Koyo shined up:

turbowop

JDM bumpers and bigger wheels have function as well as looks. Weight reduction and handling for one, as well as allowing for bigger brakes for better stopping power.

I'm not beating anybody up about their choice in radiator, if that comment was directed at me. I was asking a legit question. I just hate seeing DSM radiators in our cars with garbage looking brackets hacked together to hold it into place. Same goes for Honda sized radiators. I would rather see a stock unit in place. That said, the Evo3 option is a good one. I would probably do the same if I could verify that one would clear my turbo and intercooler piping.

mikus

^ not directional, rims & bumpers were just easy pickings

The width difference between OEM and that KOYO was significant, maybe 35-50% wider. A DNP, or even 2.5" lower route piping could be a dealbreaker.

turbowop

Quoting Jason G.:
IIRC, the Modine unit isn't plastic.

The newer Modine I have in 503 is a plastic endtanked aluminum unit. 1051 still has an OE radiator. The plastic endtanks still look new.

Terry Posten

Are you saying my brackets are crap?

They are what i had, at the time and I needed to get my car back to the dyno quickly and it works.

I will fix them in due time, but it works perfectly.

mitsuturbo

I'm loving how the AFCO Scirocco radiator fit on my car. They're known to work quite well, also. I don't think i'll be the least bit disappointed with it, once i run the car.

turbowop

Quoting Terry Posten:
Are you saying my brackets are crap?

They are what i had, at the time and I needed to get my car back to the dyno quickly and it works.

I will fix them in due time, but it works perfectly.

I'm not singling you out, Terry. I don't remember what yours look like. I'm just pointing out the majority of other installs I see that look half-assed. Sorry if that came across wrong.

GSX_TC

So will a 1G DSM fluidyne bolt up to our brackets or will I need to get custom ones?

Barnes

Quoting GSX_TC:
Quoting turbowop:
Why? Just for aesthetics?

Nah man, for durability. I use all aluminum radiators in my cars. I'm not gonna put in a plastic end tanked one. Im sure they work fine and all but in time, a well crafted all aluminum unit will last longer.

OEM replacement radiators are all metal. Modine's (and I think other brands) use metal end tanks.

EDIT: Maybe the Modine's don't as per Turbowop's post. But for my black car I simply bought a stock replacement at a radiator shop and it was all metal and has worked perfect for over a decade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I'm not knocking aluminum radiators, just so you know it's a good option.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

Quoting GSX_TC:
So will a 1G DSM fluidyne bolt up to our brackets or will I need to get custom ones?

I have a 1G Mishimoto in mine. it sits slightly lower than the OEM one, also it dont line up perfect to the brackets sideways either.

to make it look proper you will prolly have to make 2 new brackets.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned