The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transfer Case

GVR47111K

So I found this problem the other day when I raised the car up with jack to change the bad slave cylinder (which still hasn't been fixed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif). This was the first time I had jacked up the car and the problem wasn't there before. I don't know what type of diff it is or whether it is 22 or 23 spline but I'm sure you guys could tell just by looking at it or even better yet, I go out and record whatever is written on it and tell you and you tell me what type of case it is. Anyways, this problem only happened when the front end of the car was up in the air, so is the problem just because the whole thing tipped back caused the fluid to leak out? I couldn't quite tell where it was leaking from either? That kind of makes sense to me, but I don't want it to leak at all. I believe it has stopped leaking since.

click me

pauleyman

You won't know where it's coming from until you pull that case off. Tcase has a seal as does the tcase output from the transmission. The input of the transmission has a seal also but I'd say that's less likely. Could also be a crack if something has gone wrong.

Terry Posten

There are a few seals in that area.

Drop the t-case and figure out if the seal on the input of the case is leaking or if it is a rear engine seal, or tranny output shaft seal.

GVR47111K

Thanks guys. That's some really good info there, John. Still not sure why it would leak when it's jacked up from the front. Maybe I'll jack it up from the sides and the rear as well and see what happens.

GVR47111K

The front subframe from the middle, the pass side, and driver side, in that order.

pauleyman

It leaked when you jacked it up because you moved fluid from somewhere. Possibly pooled up in the bottom of the bellhousing. That isn't motor oil, it's gear oil. You should have dropped the tcase by now. You're going to have to no matter what anyway. The problem should be plainly obvious at that point. It's taking me longer to type this that to replace a seal.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned