The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

bad oil leak in oil pump area

I've dealt with this for a while now, but I can't find the source of the problem. The car won't leak just sitting there, which leads me to believe it is a pressurized leak or a front crank seal leaking. I get oil visible on the timing cover, OFH, oil pan, DS front to back subframe brace, DS control arm, and (worst of all) it sprays or drips all over the inside of the DS front wheel, which makes a huge mess. I am running a 1990 OFH, but the lines are dry. I lose a quart every 150-200 miles.

fivestardsm

It sounds like you have a bad seal. But you should start with degreassing everything and see if you can spot the source. If it is coming from the crank seal or one of the shaft seals, you will see it start to seep out of the timning cover. If it is something external like the oil line, you will notice that right away after you get the oil pressure up.

You have to determin where it is and this is the best way to do it. Also look around the oil pan. I have seen a lot of pans get ware holes from the axle carrier bolts either falling out or breaking off which allows the axle to rub on the pan. I even have a post up about that I think.

Terry Posten

Clean the whole bottom with brake cleaner spray and wipe it down with a shop towel. Let it sit overnight and in the morning, with the motor cold, start up the motor and climb under the car.

The cold start-up should yield you 50-70psi oil pressure and should show you what is up.

But you have to clean it really well.

Your 90 cooler, are you using the stock lines with banjo bolts or an AN coupler fitting with the rubber o-rings?

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Oh yeah, clean the bottom of the oil cooler where your lines go into the core. One of the threaded fittings on the core is cracked on mine and it weeps oil. Once the oil runs down the radiator core support, the wind under the car blows it all over the underside of the car.

Look real close at the oil cooler also.

Quoting Terry Posten:

Your 90 cooler, are you using the stock lines with banjo bolts or an AN coupler fitting with the rubber o-rings?

I have neither, at least in the sense that you are probably referring to. The stock banjo's are still there, but the outlet fittings have been modified to accept high pressure hose which I have clamped on with fuel injection clamps (I know, I'M STUPID, but its worked for three years now - leak free). My oil cooler is actually a trans cooler, and it worked better for me to mount it with the outputs horizontal instead of vertical. They are also a clamp on situation. The cooler is mounted between my IC and my radiator, and my radiator doesn't have any oil on it.

ktmrider

Had a similar problem, found nearly all the front case bolts loose ( 2 came off by hand ).

I removed each one then apllied loctite and thread sealant. No drips since!

And yes your front seal could be blown too.

jepherz

Staff member
Same with me, I had a bad leak that was leaving oil all over the underside of the car, as well as inside the timing belt cover. I took the whole thing apart, replaced all of the gaskets, only to find out it still leaked. Took it apart a 3rd time after cleaning it well and realized it was the oil pressure relief bolt was loose. The velocity of air was pulling the oil up inside the timing cover.

Do like the others said, clean the underside of the car WELL with engine degreaser and let it dry.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned