The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Toyota forum - Oil filter tear down

DR1665

I always get a kick out of threads like that. Someone takes the time to methodically disassemble a selection of filters and present his findings in a loosely scientific fashion, combined with numerous people chiming in with valuable commentary like, "Haha, yeah! Fram filters are crap!" As if it makes any difference at all. (EDIT: I do appreciate the time and effort that goes into documenting such things, though I find the benefits merely interesting to look at.)

Given a brand new engine, the only difference I see between running store brand and premium oil and filters is the ultimate longevity of the engine. Leave it alone and change the oil on regular intervals, and it's maybe a difference of 100,000 miles versus 150,000 miles. The vast majority of (American) owners don't keep their vehicles that long, and stepping up to premium oil/filters on used vehicles with six figures plus on them is like putting a better bandage on a festering wound.

My 420A Talon went 210,000 miles on nothing but Fram filters and Castol Syntec. The only oil problems I had were un-gapped rings and blown headgaskets.

Much ado...

Last edited:

Drew84

OEM Mitsu filters come with a pre-lubed gasket and cost about $4.50. The filters are also made in Thailand by Denso in what is most likely the same factory as every other Asian car maker's filter. Why spend any more money on a filter?

Gabor

For some reason people trust the brand that they see the most off on the shelves.
I had to roll my eyes when I saw this at work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

DR1665

Ololz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned