The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

not so good results at Bonneville world finals...

deluded

World finals kicked our asses this year. first time i've littered the salt with engine parts.

first day shake down runs with some great data logging information got us ready for a record run today on the 3 mile course. today's run found ron at 212mph at less than 1.25 miles into the run; he had gained 33mph in the last 10 seconds with about 25-30 seconds to go when KABOOOOM! lost the #2 rod (aluminum) which was suspect when we checked the bearings last week (rod bolts were hard thread out, hard thread in). everything on the run was perfect: 49psi boost, 1550egt, 11.3a/f, 197F coolant, 160F air inlet temps (not bad considering 492F turbo discharge temp!). only issue was that our new trick-wazu alternator died at high rpm giving us only 11.5V; stock mitsu with less than half the amperage rating was better than that. no tear down report on the engine yet, but i'm not optimistic that much is salvagable. driver's axle is done, too (DSS).

i don't think we'll run aluminum rods again for this type of racing. it is impossible to tell for sure when they are about to go, and we put a whole season worth of drag racing type revs on ours at every meet. doesn't help that we were running 10Krpm shift points today.

Biglady112: you make this fun for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i love to get ron (car's 75yo owner/driver)riled up about losing the record! friendly competition is the best part of land speed racing to me; most competitors will lend their last spark plug to the guy running on their own record and give him/her a sincere congrat when they beat him. keep working on it; that record is close to within your reach. now that said, since the F motor is gone we will be back in G next year, but maybe as a front wheel drive so that other classess will be open to us.

someone here noticed that our dyno graph was pathetic in the spool up department (they were much nicer in describing it). that was the result of taking 10 cam degrees of overlap out to diagnose a misfire, then before we could finish our tuning session our oil pump (2.5 seasons old) gave it up and started leaking a scary amount. with the overlap back in we generally have full boost and the corresponding power almost 2krpm sooner. in fact, the car couldn't even pull 200mph with that graph's power curve (run one at WFs was disappointing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). run two with the overlap back in (214mph) got us a datalog that set up today's fated run.

next year will see further oil pump mods maybe including needle bearings or bushings, at least. possibly ditch the 8 injectors for a single set of the 2200s and back to pauter rods, too. otherwise the setup will remain much the same. oh yea, we'll also have our own adjustable solid lifters utilizing motorcyle cam shims for a cheap but very accurate alternative to what we've seen out there. i may do a build thread on the engine with pics.

a couple thank yous: TRE's trans is still PERFCT with no issues what so ever!
And Shawn Church put a tune in the car that made it possible for me to sort out our issues
and run hard. Best/only tuner i trust to work on my own cars (and i'm a damn good
tuner myself).

long drive home in the am so i'm out of here.......

Sorry to hear that man but I am sure you guys will have that back
together in no time keep us posted on the new build....

Boostdtalon

Well glad that you guys are already laying out a good plan for next year. I'm definitely interested in seeing the carnage and the revival. Yeah Shawn Church is one amazing tuner. I've seen some of his work before and it's amazing.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting deluded:
next year will see further oil pump mods maybe including needle bearings or bushings, at least. possibly ditch the 8 injectors for a single set of the 2200s and back to pauter rods, too.

What are the Pauter rods rated to hold?

biglady112

That is ok Vernon. We are coming for that ass. Haha. Nick went 208 at the 3 mile ysterday and the car popped out of fifth gear and he could not get it back in to sav his life. They were the last car to run down the salt last night. He thinks he has a fix for the tranny and is going to try to hit it first thing today. If he can just get a clean run with the car it very well could do 220mph. You guys have set the bar high no doubt. The G record is sorta soft, but your F record is going to make us work for it. He went 214 at the 4 mile at World of Speed, but blew a silicone coupler and did not have a spare and could not find one in Salt Lake.

I am sorry to hear about the motor though. I saw that it said smoke showin and a turn ot onthe results the other day. We know smoke is never a good thing on the salt given the extremes our cars go through. Good luck and tell the boys to not give up. We enjoy the competition as well. There is actually another eagle talon that debuted at Speed Week that is now competing in F/PS. So it should be fun. I will be running in a different class next year, but will be running a turbo mitsu non the less.

Good luck and hopefully the salt gods will bless you guys for 2011. I know 2010 was just a troublesome year for you guys.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned