The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#1350/2000 DD project build

raptorWagon

Thanks. The green car? A 54' Chevy Wagon. One of my brother's project cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

raptorWagon

31' Model A, it still runs. There's a few other nice cars in there as well.

raptorWagon

The car gets to spend the night at the base hobby shop which means I'm walking there in the morning.

Good News
I got the oil pan off and back on with new sealant, looked it was the original sealant on there to begin with, figures. Got the LH E-brake cable installed, snapped a couple bolts off in the process and lets just say there is no more dust shield (rusted metal can tear easily) above the driveline. I now no the spline count of the trans, 22 spline, so now I can start hunting for transmissions. Transfer case is of the full Aluminum flavor. Added bonus work is replacing the Carrier bearings.

The few things that required extra work

Unbolted one nut on the forward Carrier bearing and the other side decided to take itself off, the rubber grommets and bushings slid right over the top of the nut like it was nothing, garbage. One nut on the rear bearing, it is rounded off...Awesome! While taking off the oil pan, it cut through the rubber portion of the stock OFH coolant line, so I got a shower in coolant. Need a new Tcase drain bolt, the washer that is on there is trash. Is there suppose to be a red dust on the trans output shaft? possible rust or just from friction/heat? I only have two bolts left to install on the oil pan and they happen to be the PITA ones between the axle and the pan. It was nice to know though, that the body underneath the rusty dust shield is not rusty and in great shape. While wrenching I discovered a screw lodged in my left front tire and the bushings for the control arm is shot.

Tomorrow is pulling the driveshaft apart and replacing carrier bearings, a friend is swinging by afterwork tonight to drop off a driveshaft, out a 1G, that I can use parts off of.

Possibly post some pics up tomorrow.

raptorWagon

While underneath and getting the car back together, here are some snap shots of the rear and how much rust there is exactly on the body, the front doesn't have any except for on the suspension and a little on various components, but nothing on the body that I can see.

I see a tunnel and a rusty driveline
img1279ic.jpg

The heat shields above the exhaust and driveshaft had to go, I mean when you bend it to make some room for a wrench and it breaks off into piece in your hand, it's not really benefitial for it stay anymore.

Seems to be everyone that works on their car on base knows what a GVR4 is, got asked 3 different times this weekend if it was in fact a VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

raptorWagon

Dove into the adventure of removing AC today, got one line off and that sight glass filter thing before I ran out of daylight, then I stopped. I'll continue more on it tomorrow. Gathering all the seals and gaskets I need for the front cover, I might as well do the timing belt again while I'm down there. I do still have balance shafts and don't have any intentions of removing them in this motor, that's what a spare block is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. These parts arrived today from Nate
- New center console cover - mine broke.
- MPI relay - mine started to click, I know it was the relay and not the ECU, it did it once last year. Seems get a loose connection sometimes and play mind games with me, Popped the code for it once.
- Fuel pump sending unit with the holes to fit AN fittings - work great when I get new lines rather than using the stock skinny line into an adapter.
- Fuel Filler tube in good shape - I haven't looked at mine yet, but don't really want to run into a problem.
- Throttlebody - in Perfect shape! Nate included the screws I needed for the TPS sensor. The current one has a broken off bolt in one the holes so you could never secure the TPS sensor. I'll be removing the lower half and installing a block off plate I've had laying around. Then get the Vac ports up top welded shut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Pretty much working on it here and there. If I could this car would be officially in the JSB crew, but it has to stay mobile, don't think the apartment people would like a car JSBing in their parking lot very much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

Of course I still need a new trans down the road, but it's not like the car is moving anywhere right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif.

raptorWagon

Hmm...to drop the gas tank or not, two of the studs have some nasty corrosion of course we all already know this, but I'm thinking this weekend would be the best time as any to, if I'm careful enough I should hopefully not break the two studs off with the nuts. I replaced all but those two nuts with rust free ones to make life a bit easier when the time comes for removal, early on.

If I pull the tank, I have to pull all the lines too, coming out in one giant piece of rusted crap.

Pulling the radiator out this weekend to get to the condenser if the weather is good out. My apartment people only told me no motor swaps.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.
Bumper, intercooler, piping, throttlebody, EGR(Have to find my block off plate) are all off currently. I guess I could pull the exhaust manifold too while I'm down there, gotta swap out water pipe anyway.

Started attacking the timing belt cover the other day, got the crank pulley off, it had a trail of oil on it, peaked under the cover and the balance shaft idler pulley had oil on it as well. Glad I planned on replacing the pump anyway, even if it is just the crank seal it's getting up there in mileage. Scary part is I've been thinking about pulling the head and doing the head gasket..it's scary because when you start using the phrase "well, while I'm down here, I could do this...pull this...replace that.." then it falls into JSB territory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. Then again..it would make relocating the alternator back there easier...uh oh.

CarRacer

It's a downward spiral. It's fun though and it's not like you have anything better to spend money on besides a 20 year old car. :p

raptorWagon

oil in cam gear cover, awesome!
IMG_1348-1.jpg

UICP and Throttle body pulled
IMG_1350-1.jpg

Today...pulled a bunch of crap
IMG_1354.jpg

Time for a new Radiator
IMG_1356.jpg

Condenser was the cleanest item in there surprisingly
IMG_1358-1.jpg

IMG_1359-1.jpg

I can almost fit inside between the motor and the car, probably can if I tried harder.
IMG_1362-1.jpg

Oh and maf bags from the shop (they were just going to throw them out, so I snagged them) work great for covering up connectors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Suppose to rain tomorrow and Monday.

raptorWagon

I'm not giving up on the car!
Since I got to head out to the sandbox in June, I'll be trailing the car down to BOSS Innovations in Tacoma to get everything I want done while I'm gone. Even as far as repairing the rust in the rear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Suprisingly there is a Gold GGSX there already that will be doing a VR4 swap. So hopefully whenever I get back #1350 will be running strong again.

AWDnoobie

You done some nice work on your vr4, cant wait to see it when its all done

fuel

nice build. not that it matters too much but the inner fog lamps on the JDM facelift fogs are meant to come on with the headlight high beams when the fog lamp switch is turned on - so you might find you are blinding people when you turn your parks on, cause those inner fogs are aligned high.

raptorWagon

I somewhat realized that after a while, right now it doesn't have the lights hooked up so I'll rewire them when I get back from the desert.

broxma

We have an amazingly similar build going on. I went more minimalist. BG/JSBC FTW

/brox

raptorWagon

Update, 1350 arrived at its' new home for while when I'm gone (I have 14 days left). Got to run over a hubcap on the way down, it came off a van two lanes over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif.

Here it was last night loaded up on the trailer
30122_433228295335_507210335_6054899_1491814_n.jpg

30115_126032604093264_100000595767028_206229_3491690_n.jpg

30115_126032420759949_100000595767028_206228_6921391_n.jpg

30115_126032994093225_100000595767028_206231_8107233_n.jpg

I love the amg sawblades /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

AnotherNewb

Quoting raptorreed:
My apartment people only told me no motor swaps.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif What, it still rolls /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned