The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

to wrap or not to wrap?

dsmless

Well as you all know its been like 100+ degree whether in the old pueblo (tucson, az) and have been running at 205 degrees constant with the ac at full blast, the fans are pushing as much air as possible, I have water wetter and a aluminum unit, its not over heating but would like to see lower temps, the only thing I can think of to drop the temp down some more is:
1) change thermostat to a 180
2) make a shroud on the turbo/exhaust mani/downpipe
or lastly kinda leaning towards it
3) wrapping it up like a 50 cent,

so what will it be, has anyone wrapped there setup, okay desert drivers please chime in, thanks

well water wetter no improvement reviews all day show different water wetter review but a lower temp therm, will help and u could even maybe get a tad "GHETTO" as they call it and add the arc cooling fin ARC FIN PRODUCTS but just putting few ideas out there to help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

THEKID

i went with the jet hot 2000 coating i have had great results with jet hot products. check out the extreme sterling for a mild turbo setup. but i recommend the 2000. on headers and the hot side of the turbo they only coat the outside and down pipes and exhaust do the inside and outside. thats what i do on all the big power cars I've built. gave the gvr4 the same treatment.

here is a link clickey

if you are interested in this pm me and i will hook you up with my rep at jet hot.

dsmless

thanks for the idea if I could do another build I would def go that route, but I am using the gaylant as a daily so cant afford down time as I am counting on it to get me everywere, thats why I was thinking of my other non loosing time off work options, also what about using spacers on the hood, aka oldschool rodder style, to get the hot air out, any one

CarRacer

I'd advise against wrapping it. I hated using it in the past. It sucks to get the wrap to look nice and it attracts moisture like a mofo. When the car runs it dries out the wrap big time, then when you shut it off the dried out wrap attracts moisture and holds it to your manifold. It has trashed a set of headers in one season of use on a few cars I've used it on. I'm not sure how it would do with cast manifolds though, so YMMV.

I'd construct or adapt a heat shield. They're very easy to make and make a huge difference. I'd search for the shield Curtis made. He used the stock heat pad material and covered a large portion of the manifold, hotside, and O2 housing. You only need to create a air gap to help mitigate the heat.

Brianawd

I coated and wrapped my manifold 2 years ago. Still holding up great. If done right it works. I think I spend like 4-5hrs wrapping and re-wrapping tell I got the fit the way I wanted it.

Last edited:

dsmless

Thanks guys thats exactaly the info I was looking for, will make a heat shield for it, sheetmetal aluminum and thin stainless, which one is best for this

prove_it

Stainless will last longer. ^1 on a heat sheild.

Hertz

Staff member
You could try bypassing the low-speed resistor for the primary fan. It's the big white block... unplug it, make a jumper w/ spade connectors and waterproof it (shrink tubing, etc.)

Rausch

Quoting CarRacer:

I'd construct or adapt a heat shield.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek3run.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Getting the 180* thermostat and running more water in the system will help. Since its always hot there you can easily get away with a 80/20 mix of water/coolant and a bottle of watter wetter. Wrapping the exhaust manifold/o2/downpipe will help significantly but you might have to remove them to do it right.

dsmless

Got it guys looks like no cruising to pheonix this weekend, will def change thermostat and shield the beastie, will look into the coolant/water mix to though I think it gets pretty cold hear from what I have been told, and yes my fan is set to be on when the ignition is on and my slimline can be turned on and off with a switch, looks like its time to get fabin

Don't forget to use distilled water. Helps to keep mineral deposits out of the water passages, pump, radiator etc.

As for heat wrap, I just did my manifold and dp recently in this f**king heat and it sucked. Of course only wearing shorts and sandals didn't help because the fibers get everywhere and then you itch for a day or two. I couldn't imagine doing it with the parts on the car.

prove_it

Yea most people complain about the fibers and how much that sucks. I did my accord header and it sucked. I itched for days. Then I found out the most awesomist trick in the book. Soak your heat wrap in water for a couple minutes, and keep it wet. Not only will you NOT have fibers all over you, but it will look better since you can wrap it tighter.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

First time I did it I bought fiber glass wrap and it did itch like crazy (I didn't wet it). The last time I wrapped my turbo/manifold/o2 I purchased THIS ONE and it worked like a charm and I didn't have to wet it.

prove_it

Taken from the site:
"DEI titanium exhaust wrap with LR technology is constructed from pulverized lava rock, extruded into fibers, and then woven into a tight weave, giving it titanium-like strength and toughness"

They don't just grind up the lava rock they motherf***ing PULVERIZE it!

Brianawd

Big reason for soaking the header wrap in water is to make the wrap stretch more. In the end you end up with a much tighter wrap then it would have been if you did it dry.

Brian speaks the truth, wetting it makes it much easier to work with. Although I am going to have to redo this because I calculated wrong for the exhaust clamps. Doh.

The stuff that gave me the itches real bad was black which the instructions did not say to wet. I used it on the manifold and it was a supreme bitch with fibers everywhere. The titamium wrap looks bling.

Beware of wraps with too low heat rating, there was a bunch going around ebay a while back that failed quality control. Wraps work great for on road applacations, not so much on off road, reason being it WILL rot your headers and you will never know it. I still think wrapped headers look bitchen

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned