The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Introduction: New to Galant VR4 dot org!

Jafro

Really I joined about a month ago, but finally met my destiny. It's past time that I should have made my introduction. Everyone has called me "Jafro" since '92. I had no say in this. It stuck, what can I do? I'm 40 and live in the central VA area.

I've been practicing DSM since '97. I've met many people from this board over the years, and learned some valuable skills as a result of those encounters. Mostly people who participated with Capital Area DSM back in the '90's and early '00's. Matt Demicco, Sam Sayes (the blingmaster), Marty... you guys know who you are if you're still here. I've always appreciated what you JDM'ers brought to our local and regional DSM events, continually reminding us they don't drive DSMs. :p

A close friend of mine bought 1229 over a decade ago. He's actually the guy who found my GSX for sale. We both had a blast working on his Galant, and I'm not kidding. I really did enjoy it. I appreciate the luxuries it offered, and the fly-under-the-radar sleeper factor. Nobody ever suspects the Galant. I found it to be a durable and reliable daily driver from the perspective of the coworker and roommate of its owner, but definitely requiring more maintenance due to its age. At one stage of his career he managed to buy a new civic hybrid, and have less time to spend maintaining an old car. 1229 got stored under a car cover shortly afterwards because of these kinds of challenges.

1229/2000 came up for sale and I bought it. This GVR-4 is packed with great hardware, but it's been sitting for 6 years. It has problems from this, but problems that can be remedied with the proper attention. It's a challenge I've accepted, and one I feel the need to overcome to bring it back to its former and future glory. Both the past and present owners of this car love this car. I plan to make everyone here, including its former owner proud.

I'm "Jafro" on DSMtuners... probably one of the lower-post count members for the length of time I've been a member, but always appreciated the straight-forward means of information delivery the DSM community has always provided since the dawn of the internet. Even before the forums (vfaq, dsm.org, yahoo mail lists, plymouthlaser.org, etc...). For free. It empowered me. It gave me a wealth of information to absorb from my air conditioned office chair so that when I spent my time in whatever conditions, I did it properly and with the right tools. I just didn't find that in any other community. In the early days putting the information out there was a challenge in itself, so their efforts have always been a gift. I built a '92 civic hatchback that got 44mpg for practice. I spent most of '00 trolling Honda forums, being the annoying DSM guy, and making VFAQ's for simple things that just didn't exist. But even before the Honda I had owned a '95 GSX that had been in a constant state of transformation, and I still own it today. Never will I part with it. It's won show trophies and competitions, but strangely has never lasted through Saturday Night Brackets at my local dragstrip as long as I did (in 2006) in #1229. Justin threw me the keys after I broke out in round 1. His Galant carried me all the way to the semi-final eliminations. Wasn't even my car. My GSX has never done that. 1229 is a champion, and I'm grateful to have it.

I'm one of those people who tends to make DSM How-To videos in my spare time. 'been doing it for about 4 years. My channel's been growing. Never really expected it to, but it did. I know that NOBODY ON THIS BOARD needs auto-mechanic 101 videos... but more than anything... I just needed cars to do this kind of thing with. My subscribers are mostly DSMers. The more problems my cars have, the better. What better platform could I possibly have ever chosen? I'll NEVER run out of material! Since I'm already buried in DSMs, I felt like a GVR-4 kinda deserved a spot on the ranch because it's a classic and I just love to wrench on anything with a 4g6x in it. But if you happen to be one of my subscribers, pop into this video where I introduce it, give me thumb and post your chassis # if you know it. I hope to upload plenty of Galant videos, hopefully bringing more exposure and attention to these cars that they all deserve.

If you're not a subscriber, PLEASE DO so you can correct me if I ever get anything wrong. I don't know everything there is to know. That's why I'm here. I need your help more than you need me.

SEE VIDEO OF 1229/2000 RESURRECTION HERE: click

Best Regards!

Terry Posten

Welcome.

Go see this FS post. click

The best money spent for working under the hood.

citymunky

Welcome to the board. I watch a few of you videos before so its nice to have someone know how to treat these cars become part of the family.

BTW: those are not JDM foglights.

Last edited:

ade

howdy jafro, i've followed your vids on YouTube also, its very helpful stuff. welcome to gvr4.org, What took you so long?

Last edited:

Jafro

@ Citymunky Thank you for that clarification! The owner told me he had JDM fogs, and you're both right. I just found them in a box! :p

@ade I thought ownership might be a requirement? Until I had the opportunity to buy one, I felt I had little to offer. I've been completely content just listening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm glad to be here!

Last edited:

GVR47111K

Welcome!
Just a few days ago I was reading on here that someone didn't know how to perform a task on their car because Jafro hadn't showed them how yet. Haha, you a celeb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jafro

On HERE? Really? LOL! I'm off to use the search button... Hilarious!

deusamo

Welcome! I'm in southwest VA, so if you are ever down this way, let me know. It'd be nice to run into another GVR4.

DynastyLCD

welcome Jafro!

i always saw your videos, good to see another helpful and contributing person to our community.

nice GVR4 resto movie... although i watched 3 minutes and skipped to the part where it runs and you go "yep, no leaks!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Dasith

Good to see you here Jafro.... im a subscriber fom australia.. enjoyed your vids verymuch.. very educational and helpful

xaisomboun

A long time YouTube subscriber here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif, nice to see you join the boards! Welcome!

turbowop

JDM foglights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Nice video. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jafro

Thanks guys. I feel welcome! I need to do a lot of reading before I do a whole lot of posting.

I'm entering some uncharted territory here. The car is full of mold, and it's going to be an expensive but worthwhile fix. It's a new challenge, and one which my other projects don't need... so to me, it's great material. I've already put together a makeshift hazmat suit and finished with my fungus and product safety research. I can handle this one. I also want to learn how to paint, and this car gives me a whole lot to work with already. It's in really good shape. It needs very little replaced.

I won't be completely disassembling this one until the GSX and Colt are done, but I'm going to make it drivable in the meantime.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Yeah... about those fogs. Like I said... I don't know everything. That's why I'm here. :p I've been around it a lot, but it's still new to me, and I'm still learning about it. It's a little weird being a noob of a 22 year old car.

Hertz

Staff member
Welcome Jafro! If you want to make an index of your vids and post them into our How To that's great with me.

raptorWagon

Welcome!
Don't do too many hard launches on that 1st gear! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I had a spare green door...but I scrapped my car last winter.

Jafro

Quoting Hertz:
Welcome Jafro! If you want to make an index of your vids and post them into our How To that's great with me.

60 seconds in there is a humbling experience. There's more knowledge and experience on one page of that category than I've managed to create in 4 years on YouTube. I'm flattered! I'll work on that, thank you.

Most of the material I've got for DSM stuff needs to be done to this Galant, and it would be an opportunity to make it vehicle-specific... except that How To forum already looks as though it's all there. I know what I'll be reading for the next year. That is just incredible work. 'perfectly illustrates the point I made in my first post about how Mitsubishi gearheads are a whole different breed of enthusiasts.

...and what about my first gear? What are these things famous for doing to 1st gear? I know it's a slightly taller gear but... help a brotha out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've replaced the transmission in this car myself back in 2004. It's a pretty easy job. I got it out in 45 minutes, and its former owner can confirm this. We put a TRE Stage 2 back in it with just an ACT2100 so it would slip a bit more. Is there anything I would need to do with a Galant to work around a 1st gear issue that I wouldn't need to do with a DSM? I do plan to make a pass every now and then. Gotta get benchmarks occasionally...

raptorWagon

^This is why I said that, the 1st gear on these cars does not take kindly to launches and doesn't take much to snap it. If you enjoy having the taller 1st gear than the shorter DSM 1st, then I'd suggest the Evo3 1st gear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts