The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What to do with the galant? Advice appreciated!

So I'm looking for some advice as to what to do with the Galant. I had a blast owning it, but unfortunately I cannot keep her any longer.

About 2 years ago my brother and I decided to change the head gasket and do a couple of other maintenance items on the motor. We took it to his place as he has lots of space and started on the project. Shortly thereafter, there was a death in the family and the car was put on hold. It was a hard time for us, and almost 2 years later the car is still sitting in the garage. I realize that I won't be keeping her any longer and unfortunately I do not have the time/experience/tools to finish the job. I'm not even in the same city, so its not something I can fix bit-by-bit over time.
When we stopped, we had taken out the radiator, exhaust manifold, turbo, downpipe, injectors, TB, intercooler pipes.
My options as I see them are this:
1.) pay to have the car fixed, I figure ~$1,500-2,000 with parts. I'm not sure what permanent damage has been done to the motor, if any, by having the above-mentioned parts removed for such a long time. It was stored inside, but the garage is a bit older and moisture has definitely gotten inside there. After the car is fixed, try to sell it.
2.) part out certain bits, ie intercooler, FPR, boost controller, SAFC2, ecu, etc and scrap the body. I dont like this option since the car's body and interior are in excellent shape. No rust, great paint, perfect door panels, near perfect leather. It's also such a rare, unique car that it would kill me inside to do this. Again, if i were to part it out, I wouldnt be trying to sell individual interior pieces, doglegs, wheels etc. Do not have the time to remove, store, list, package, send these items nowadays.
3.) hope some enthusiast that lives close to BC wants a new project car or whatever, and comes and trailers it away.

Overall I'm not really fond of any of the options. I just know I can't keep her any longer (brothers house is being sold), and don't have an alternative place to store her. I would hate to see the galant go to the scrappers; these cars are just way too special and unique.

What should I do?

pics/mods on car

Muskrat

Part out what you can, sell the shell. If it's in as good shape as you say someone will probably pick it up.

Or, if you have the space, get a friends truck, rent a uhaul, and tow it to where you are and fix it.

Diego

Wow, clean.

Couple questions...

You have a 2g mas correct?
And I see you have the hks filter......

How in the heck did you make it work. I couldn't for the life of me yesterday see how it would fit on... the 2g mas I have has this aluminum collar and fits a k&n.... and I hate the k&n and want my hks back, so if you remember lmk.

Again clean car. What's the price range for sale if sold, I'm not close enough to you but another curious question

Muskrat, that's what I was thinking; sell the extra bits and then sell the shell separately. Only problem is the shell needs to be gone by September at the latest, and if it does not sell then it is definitely going to the wreckers which would be a huggeee shame! I'll need to start a FS thread in the upcoming weeks and see if there is any interest.

And Diego, it was a just a question of finding the proper silicone connector, I believe. Once I get back to the car I'll snap a few pictures.

Muskrat

List the shell first (or complete car) and see what bites you can get. If it's priced right, it will sell.

Then sell the parts, after the shell is gone, and the buyer takes everything he wants from you.

AWDnoobie

I think you would be able to sell if fairly easy in BC. When ive gone to get the odd part for my gvr4, and told people what i have. Most have said that be cool to have one over a talon, due to sleeper look. Hell id like to have another one, just so I could have a driver and a track car, But i cant due to lack of space.

If & when you decide to sell, post up on calgarydsm.com and 780tuners.com Both are alberta sites that might help you sell a bit quicker. GL with fixing or selling

As nice as that is, it doesn't need alot to get it back together, I'd put it up for sale as is and see what you get, if that doesn't work I'd say plan B and sell off some of the aftermarket goodies and sell the shell with engine and trans.

curtis

Man put it up for sale as is. Someone will pick it up. Shame to part out a car as clean as that one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts