The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

paint or wrap debate

icurunnin

well I have spent enough on 662 in the performance area and now am looking to move on to the cosmetic area. I need to locate a driver fender and both drivers doors before moving any further though. the lady I bought it from side swiped a pole and I want zero bondo or bodywork done on the car. so once those are located the car will be dent and bondo free and just need sanding and paint or to be wrapped.
Now the reason I have thought about the wrap option is with the new printers out you cant even tell its vinyl. I have seen a few cars locally in person and the wrap looked great. they are easy to maintain and look nice. only real issue I ran into is what I would put on the wrap or just match it with the stock belize color. I wont have to worry about crappy prep work like over spray and trash in the paint.
They have some nice flame jobs but I want to be a little more original than that. any ideas on what to put on the wrap job?

pachood_1953

Paint, or leave it as is.

Vinyl doesn't belong on cars.

H05TYL

If your going to be door to door racing it, or rallying it, vinyl isn't a bad option because it costs less to re-do after you inevitably hit something.

For a road car, I'd say it's worth waiting, and getting it properly painted. (not just a cheap spray job mind).

If you do decide to vinyl it (and want some sort of graphics rather than a single colour) looks to racecars of the period for inspiration, like the white and blue works rally cars, or the black and red of the advan rallycars.

pachood_1953

Well, what I said still stands, but without knowing what your doing with your vehicle I would say...

No vinyl..That stuff is for company promotions..I understand it *can* look decent to the normal eye, but that is incredibly painful to the eagle eyes out there like myself...it just shouldnt be on a vehicle.

Paint, yes.

Race car: go single stage..Cheap as dirt, easy to spray,covers well.

Street car..base / clear without a doubt. You can do plenty of wild stuff if thats your game, but I would just suggest going back to the same-ol same-ol.

NateCrisman

Quoting icurunnin:
well I have spent enough on 662 in the performance area and now am looking to move on to the cosmetic area. I need to locate a driver fender and both drivers doors before moving any further though. the lady I bought it from side swiped a pole and I want zero bondo or bodywork done on the car. so once those are located the car will be dent and bondo free and just need sanding and paint or to be wrapped.
Now the reason I have thought about the wrap option is with the new printers out you cant even tell its vinyl. I have seen a few cars locally in person and the wrap looked great. they are easy to maintain and look nice. only real issue I ran into is what I would put on the wrap or just match it with the stock belize color. I wont have to worry about crappy prep work like over spray and trash in the paint.
They have some nice flame jobs but I want to be a little more original than that. any ideas on what to put on the wrap job?

I was thinking of wrapping 931 myself. It's cheaper and far easier than paint. And you can do silly color changes and it not be permenant. But it's still not the same as a good paint job. There will always be edges that peel up and get burrs. And it will fade and loose it's gloss eventually.

It would definatly be a consideration for a car that's got horrendous paint, but is just not a worthy car for an expensive repaint.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts