The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

timing belt tensioner

bob92vr4

i was curious if there is a way to make or timing belt tensenior manual like the honda guys do on the h22's or if there is an alternative to the factory type?

Rausch

Last H22 I touched had an auto tensioner. You could crank it back in with the little screw guy in the bottom, but that was it. Do they swap them out for something else? Sorry if that is a silly question.

DougPorcaro

I have that BLE manual. Very nice piece. A bit pricey but it pays for itself if you are constantly taking the timing belt on and off.

Galantvr41062

Pays for it self how? If you have the right tools the timing belt change should not be a problem. I have had the factory tensioner hold up to A LOT of HP and A LOT of RPM if they are in good working order and the timing belt tension process is done properly they are right where the should be when I tear down the motor.

~John

bob92vr4

well yes the stock stuff is great dont get me wrong but the one i have has failed so its time to swap it out for a new one and since im doing it anyways the manual ones are fail proof at any rpm so im going to install one on my car while im at it thanks for your input thats exactly what i was looking for. and yes honda actually uses a manual tensioner on the 23 series motors it was an improvement from the h22 so all the guys running high hp h22 run the manual off of the 23 series motors now.

TRBODSM

I had the solid tensioner on my talon, if I were to do it again I would just buy a stock one. It is a PITA to adjust tension so either your t-belt isnt too loose or to tight. A buddy of mine over tightened his and ended up shredding his timing belt and if it's too loose your timing will skip . Ive heard you have to check those every once in a while also. It all depends on what route you want to go.

MitchooO

the only reason that the auto tensioner will fail is of bein too old.... a new mitsubishi tensioner with factory belt setup has gotta be the best way in my book... yea you have to pu it in the vice when you change the belt.... but as long as you keep the pin, its not a big deal, i dont have a vice in my garage yet... but i always figure a way to get it shoved back in... from wat i know the factory tensioner on my vr4 before i bought it helpd up over 100k miles before the belt broke and dinged the pistons.... i bought it thousands of miles after that and dont even know if they put a new tensioner on it then, ofcoarse i have since then but the auto tensior is a way better way i think... rpms cant do anything to the tensioner, just the pulley the tensioner pushes on

Brianawd

The manual tensioner is junk, just like solid lifters. You are just asking for problems.

Just put a new factory tensioner on and it will be good to go.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned