The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Timing Belt Tention?

Specter

I tried to search around but could not find anything, how much tension should there be on the timing belt? I saw couple of videos on you tube but was not sure which one showed the right tension, if any. Is it okay for the belt to jump a little while the car is idling? Helpful replies with pictures/videos are very much appreciated.
Thank You! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

boostedinaz

Here is a walk through of a timing belt replacement. The bottom of the tension arm should be about 4mm away from the body of the tensioner.

click

DO NOT run the engine unless it has the correct tension. If the belt is skipping teeth STOP running the engine. If the belt skipps enough it will start to bend valves.

Galantvr41062

I checked with a spring pressure gauge and the auto tensioner only puts about 40lbs of force on the tension arm. If the belt is worn a little over time I could see the belt rapping a little between the cam gears, but by no means should they be skipping teeth. Time to pull it apart and see what is going on.

~John

Specter

I had the 4g63t's water pump changed, for which the timing belt was taken out. Everything was put back together. How? By using the local tricks and experience, my mechanic says that the timing belt will have a tad bit play in it, i tend to agree, but to me the current tension looks a bit less. The belt is not skipping any teeth what so ever, it just bounces a bit, i think i should upload a video of it so you guys can understand the situation better. Will do it tomorrow.

toybreaker

iconoclast
The timing belt will gain and loose tension as the valvetrain climbs and falls down the ramps of the cams.

This will cause even a correctly tensioned t-belt to "flap" a little inbetween the cam gears, as they gain and lose tension at different spots in their rotation. This effect is very noticable at a few different rpms where things just seem to resonate

A quick check to ensure you're in the ballpark tension wise is to slide the pin back into the tensioner. If the pin goes back in easily, you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Specter

Oh Toy Breaker to the rescue again in my post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The pin slides in perfectly, it just has been a week since we did the timing job and it was hardly driven more then few miles. I just noticed that flapping today and thought i should ask, still i will post up a video to make sure all is well, thanks man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned