The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

throttle body blockoff question

James

im not completely satisfied with with the blockoff plate that i made myself, so im ordering the plate and Oring from extemepsi.

my question is are gaskets required for both sides of the plate? they dont sell them, so i assume no. but im just wondering from personal experiance. Im also ordering the fiav Oring new from them as mine is pretty brittle.

rdomeck

Gasket on one side. You need the gasket to keep the coolant from getting into the intake......I tried to reuse my old gasket and it was like a was running with a blown head gasket! Lot's of white smoke.

James

can you explain more? i thought the point of the blockoff was to stop the coolent from getting through, i dont have have the coolent lines going to the bottom of the TB anymore. theyre recirculated into eachother.

btw im using the blockoff that still allows the ISC to work

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

The block off plate gets rid of the FIAV. You can cap the coolant lines without having a block off plate.

James

Slowing getting more and more off subject.

I have the coolant inlets on the TB blocked off.

I made a custom plate, but didn't use a gasket.

Im not 100% happy with the plate I made so I ordered one from Expsi, along with the FIAV Oring.

So I need to make my own gasket for the other side of the plate? Or is one sold somewhere that I can't find.

Terry Posten

A good plate will replace the bottom plate completely. You should also get shorter screws. Only one gasket needed as there is only one side to seal.

Now, the best plate to get is the one that just blocks off the FIAV passages and leaves the ISC passages open, then you would need two gaskets, one on either side of the added plate.

For both setups, do not route coolant through the base of the TB. Either cap the feed and return lines at their source or use a short piece of hose, and bypass the TB completely.

I, personally used JBWeld and filled in the FIAV passages on the bottom "base" of the TB as well as bypassing the coolant. That way,the ISC is still working using the OEM gasket, bolts, and base plate.

Last edited:

James

That's why I'm buying, but from extreme psi, I said that in the beginning. My question was does it need gaskets on both sides. Because there was no gasket when I took it apart.

In other words should it be like this..

Top of throttle body
Gasket
Block off plate
Gasket (and new FIAV Oring)
Bottom of throttle body

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned