The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Busted Throttle Butterfly Screws

bustedtb.JPG

So I'm finally rebuilding my throttle body with the new orings from MachV (thanks Kibo) and my new FIAV and ISC blockoff plate. Of course 2 screws on the butterfly broke in half. Who knew PB blaster soak(s) and the right size screwdriver wouldn't be enough for me?
rolleyes.gif
So the electric screwdriver and all my weight got them out in 2 pieces. The threads are still fine.

Now I need to put everything back together sometime soon so where can I pickup 2 more screws? Also what grease did everyone use on the seals? Does anything work or does it need to be silicon based per the VFAQ?

Finally not stressed about breaking some screws. Go Civic power!
grin.gif

atc250r

Staff member
If it has to be silicon based get some Sil-Glyde from the local NAPA store. It is used to lube brake caliper pins/sliders so if you plan on doing your own brakes you'll definitely have use for it. I gotta get around to doing my t-body one of these days.

John

So far the TB is super easy except for the screws i broke. Sometimes they come out easy, sometimes not. I just need to know how to replace them now and if the grease has to be anything special.

quote:Originally posted by turbogalant:
Bone yard, ace, true value. So they're a standard size? If so I'll fix them tomorrow at work or run to the hardware store. my guess is they're m5x.8?

The problem with those screws is that they seem to be made from an extremely soft metal. If you don't have a very good grip with the screw-driver, they will strip out very easily.

Luckily I had a spare throttle body around that I could canibilize for parts.

mine started to strip so I tried another method, namely the electric drill on a high clutch setting with a screwdriver bit. With all my weight down on the screw and drill it didn't strip but it did snap them right in half. Then the bottoms easily came out the other way. Depending out how hard they peened the bottom of the screw I'm not sure some would ever come out in one piece!

atc250r

Staff member
What are you gonna do to keep the new ones in? Peen them again or maybe a little tack weld?

John

a_santos

A budget mod to do while it is out is grind the shaft down so that is is more aerodynamic. You can also grind the ends of the screws if they stick out. Tha way when the butterfly is fully open, it has a lower profile.

atc250r

Staff member
quote:Originally posted by turboflanagan:
You are going to cryo the assy after you balance it right?
wink.gif
VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Don't forget to magnaflux it too.
wink.gif

John

RayH

quote:Originally posted by a_santos:
A budget mod to do while it is out is grind the shaft down so that is is more aerodynamic. You can also grind the ends of the screws if they stick out. Tha way when the butterfly is fully open, it has a lower profile. And if you have alot of time on your hands, grind the leading and trailings edges of the plate, taking care not to change the overall diameter.

I was just going to red locktight the screws. Maybe hit the backs with a punch too.

TWEAKD4

Vfaq is your friend. From http://www.ca.dsm.org/faq/tb-shaftseals.html. This faq says to use 4mm x .75. My local DO-It-Best didn't have that size so I used 4mm x .70 and they worked fine. Just used red locktight and all is good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned