The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Are these wires interchangeable?

veganbutcher

So I got my car back from the mechanic and noticed the check engine light was on. Tested it and got code 21, coolant temp sensor. The wiring to the coolant temp sensor (located above the thermostat housing) had been cut. I took a picture of the pigtail and all five wires here were disconnected, I figured the yellow/green one must be ground however there are two sets of wires that look identical, both circled in green (one is wrapped in some shrink wrap in the photo but take my word for it).

Are the two sets of identical green wires interchangeable? If not how do I know where they go?

Does anyone know what this sensor is for circled in red? I believe it is a second coolant temp sensor for underneath the thermostat.

w1XcOm9.jpg

Last edited:

mcbride89

Did you check under the thermostat, there's a tab type sensor that plugs in from the bottem

veganbutcher

Well, girlfriend pointed out to me that one is green with an orange stripe and the other is green with a red stripe. So I hooked up green/orange and green/green to the lower thermostat housing since the broken connector had the same color wires. Green/red and green went to the upper thermostat housing.

Car works, code is gone, also fixed another starting issue I had where I needed to crank the engine over take out the key and turn it over again just to start it.

ade

Blue/Black, single wire sensor, A/C Condenser Fan, Normally open
Green/Red and Green/Black, 2 wire sensor, A/C Clutch lockout, Normally closed
Green/Black and Yellow/Green, 2 wire sensor, ECU Temperature sensor, variable ohm reading
Yellow/Green, single wire sensor, Cluster temp gauge, variable ohm reading

just in case any1 else needs this.

HunterDG

Quoting veganbutcher:
Does anyone know what this sensor is for circled in red? I believe it is a second coolant temp sensor for underneath the thermostat.
w1XcOm9.jpg

I don't think this question ever got answered, and I'm wondering too. Anyone?

HunterDG

I don't think that the connector circled in red is in the diagram. There are 5 'connectors' on my throttle body. Only 4 are listed in the diagram.

Three on the front (of which two are listed in the diagram), one on top, and one on the back.

Unless I have a weird thermostat housing. See the white connector in attached pic

Here's an upright pic:

Last edited:

raptorWagon

That's the thermostatic switch that is used in conjunction with the EGR, vacuum lines are the only things that plug in there.

Wizardawd

5 coolant sensors. 1 is in the radiator, 2 wire, used to turn the radiator fans on. 1 single wire for the gauge in the dash. 1 2 wire next to the single wire is for the ECU to see coolant temp, and the 2 wire on the top of the thermostat housing is for the AC circuit. The tree thingy is correctly id'd as a thero switch for the emissions equipment.

Wiz

HunterDG

thanks for clearing that up!

mitsuturbo

Quoting Wizardawd:
5 coolant sensors. 1 is in the radiator, 2 wire, used to turn the radiator fans on. 1 single wire for the gauge in the dash. 1 2 wire next to the single wire is for the ECU to see coolant temp, and the 2 wire on the top of the thermostat housing is for the AC circuit. The tree thingy is correctly id'd as a thero switch for the emissions equipment.

Wiz

And one in the back of the thermostat housing as well. Single spade terminal, and i believe it is a blue wire that goes to it. Related to the A/C fan.

note: DSMs do not have the sensor in the back of the thermostat housing, they've got a plug instead

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned