The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

coolant line ?

4doorboost

so i purchased a galant vr4 with the coolant lines that are supposed to run to the throttle body not there. ive done research and realized i would like to put them back in. i was wondering if anyone had the diagram on where those lines come from and go. thanks
bryce ocain

One comes from the back of the thermostat housing and the other to the water pipe just below that. I have no diagram.

The coolant's job is to heat up the wax in the FIAV. Im not sure if it matters which way it goes in or out though.

The FIAV is only used to cold starts. Alot of people will ditch them because they can leak coolant into them and somehow fry the ecu.

Dialcaliper

The reason people remove them is that the FIAV can go bad. It is normally open and the warm coolant melts wax inside it, which expands and closes the valve. When it goes bad, the wax leaks and never manages to close the air valve.

The net result is a higher idle speed when cold, dropping down to normal as the engine heats up. If you just remove the lines and block them off, or if the valve is bad you will have an abnormally high idle (~2000 RPM instead of 850RPM). If you don't, then the previous owner blocked up the valve and everything is fine. If this is the case, since you live in a warm area, everything is fine.

If you've got high idle, you have two choices - either hook up the lines (one goes to the small branch on the main water pipe, the other goes direct to the T-stat housing - you can get the hoses from JNZ or anywhere else that sells OEM or replacement parts). The only issue is that if the valve was actually bad, it won't fix the problem.

The other option is to block off the valve, which there are several methods to do - search around for FIAV Block Off.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned