The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Polish

I've been there, just don't let yourself get in a rush. I did and now I have to re-do some stuff I did poorly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

skivittlerjimb

Quote:
POR15 doesn't stand up to exhaust heat very well.

This might work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks for all the answers, Paul. I didn't realize Chassis Coat wasn't really a rust preventative. I'll likely go the same route as you, but I'm guessing I'll have a lot more rust to remove!

-Jim B.
1432/2000

turboflanagan

Quote:
Oh yeah and where's my 'new' lightweight carpet?

Hehehe, yours will be infused with lead... and yes, you will be responsible for the shipping. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

steve

I just have to say... pages 16 and 17 FTW!!!1

JB

Quote:
I just have to say... pages 16 and 17 FTW!!!1

+1!!!11one

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Fiddy-pence! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

cheekychimp

Well, the engine is out together with the entire front axle/cross member assembly. We stripped the engine bay of pretty much everything, just a couple of cables, parts of the wiring harness and pipes that we couldn't be bothered to pull in from the cabin. Then we did a bit of welding to strengthen things up. Nothing fancy and nothing that would frighten the likes of Andre or Al but it should get the job done and most of it will be hidden under the fenders anyway.

The POR-15 is getting real old now. We went over everything with chassis coat, which means I painted the entire engine bay, by hand, TWICE on Saturday. Next day off that I get we have to pull the car to the other side of the shop and do the passenger side of the car (Hong Kong real estate prices make for small workshops - a lot of you guys have private garages that are bigger, I kid you not!) Then the underneath of the car has to be painted. It's slow work but I am finally making some progress.

We have deleted the ABS. The big computer/distribution block in 'my' passenger fender well has left a big space that looks like it will be perfect for an external oil cooler mounted horizontally with a fan underneath fed with air through the right hand vent on the hood.

It may also fit the accumulator and remote oil filter if I'm lucky. We are looking at putting an ARC style airbox in the other corner now that the battery has gone, fed from the other vent.

We also tried to test fit the intercooler which has me completely baffled. The mounting tabs on the cooler don't match anything on the JDM chassis (not a big deal as I intend to use an L-shaped angle iron support to mount and protect the intercooler anyway). I think however I'll need to get the new engine in and work out the mounting from there together with the pipe routing and JDM bumper cover to make sure I trim the chassis in the right places.

On a final note, I have some carbon fibre JDM style vents. They will be somewhat obsolete on John's hood above but at the same time I think the JDM vents make for an aggressive look. So I'm seriously considering fitting the vents further back on the rear of the hood. My friend put his vents there on the hood of his Supra powered Aristo and they look really good. I don't want water dripping onto the engine there during the rain though, so however ricer it may be, I think I'll just drill and surface mount them without cutting any holes in the hood underneath.

curtis

Progress report from Tenn.

The two boxes above are to hold the stuff thats in my office thats HK bound. I hope everything will fit in the two. Plus theres body panels, headliner, bumper and cover lights. ETC. ETC.

I'm hoping to get most shipped off in the next week or so.

curtis

I got them in the automotive section at Walmart they had to get one from the back. The price was right at 100 for both with tax. Locking lid and built like a vault. Considering big rubbermaid ones are almost 30 and there weak compaired to these. Pisses me off that sams had them cheaper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

curtis

Here's what they look like now. Its going to take two more plus a shipping crate for the headliner, body panels and bumper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

As I told Paul in my PM I wonder if HK has a condition on importing peanuts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

turboflanagan

Not trying to curse the shipment, but I sent Shep my tranny in a box just like those because he said they were virtually indestructable. Well, UPS thought differently about them. Busted it on the way to him, busted it to bits on the way back to me--even after Shep modified it with some 2x4 to support what they already broke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Good luck with yours.

blacksheep

Hey Curtis - when you can , let me know when you recieve my package for Paul. No hurry, you have other things to worry about like family -so, no biggie

cheekychimp

I imagine pretty soon after Curtis' last shipment comes in. It's unfortunate but stuff has to be done in a certain order and on a project like this it has to be done right. I have an antenna for the GPS that will be roof mounted. The new headliner go only go in once the antenna has been fitted. I can't weld the cage in until the headliner is done and we need all the welding done before we redo the sound deadening.

On the engine side, I'd rather get the non-abs lines in before we put in the new engine. If it is any consolation once the last bits are here, the build should progress pretty quickly to a running car, fitted interior and finally paint.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned