The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Paul, I know it will mean shipping from the UK again, but I always get my POR15 from Frost.co.uk. They do the whole range, as well.

PS. Those pics are genius /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

464/2K

some one put his face on Paul Wall!! ftw

cheekychimp

Quote:
Paul, I know it will mean shipping from the UK again, but I always get my POR15 from Frost.co.uk. They do the whole range, as well.

There's actually a distributor in China. China is a huge place but funnily enough this guy is in the next province less than a hundred miles away. A friend of mine keeps telling me he has a friend who travels up to China regularly who could bring the stuff back. I've given him all the details and told him to get back to me. The annoying thing is If I can prep the underside of the car and the engine compartment, I could actually really get going on rebuilding. The trans, gas tank, fuel lines, 4-bolt rear, clutch, suspension, wheels, brakes, underbody panels, exhaust and propane injection tubes could go on for starters.

We also sprayed half of the hollow chassis with that expansion foam stuff the other day. I remembered to plug the holes by the seatbelts this time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Paul

Last edited:

Sr71sss

I can't believe that I have read all 17 pages for this ultimate buildup but it was worth it, paul you might want to use zerorust on the underbody because a friend of mines had used por 15 and zero rust on his boat and the zerorust didn't even looked like that corrosion even is peeking thru like the por 15, good luck with the build and email me if you want more info regarding the zero rust.

Conrad
antioch,ca
1965/2000
352/1000

cheekychimp

Video is in the house. Yeah I know it's worthless until the car is running but I'm quite excited about this as I've been waiting on this for a long time and the units seem to have been under development forever.

This is the PDR100 solid state MPEG2 recorder

And this is the sister unit, a video switch box which allows me to run a second image PIP (rear view camera or a wide angle of the steering wheel, gear lever or pedals etc). I picked up a 4 source video switcher off of E-Bay cheap that will actually allow me to choose between 4 different camera inputs for the PIP image. I'm thinking a hidden camera focused on the face of the passenger might be fun ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

It seems pretty solidly put together and has room for a lot of functionality. Some stuff is still under development like a G-Meter display and interfacing with other data logging products but it still has user selectable positioning of the PIP, a clock display overlay and remote 'arming'.

I intend to wire it up so that it starts to record as soon as I turn on and records in 'loop' mode continuously. Apart from ensuring that I never miss a kill, it's useful ammunition to have in the unfortunate event of an accident (if it really wasn't your fault that is !!!). Cost was a little over $600 for both units. Not cheap but comparable to a video cam which is far more difficult to mount (this is used with remote bullet cameras powered off the unit itself). And it is definately cheaper than STACKS digital solid state recorder. I know STACK stuff is second to none but $7000-USD for a video recorder, yes I said $7000-USD. Ask Alex, he got the quote !!!

bazeng

whats the foam meant to help with?
sounds interesting

i've heard of something like this before, but i've read that it can hold in moisture and cause rust..

any info would be great!

cheekychimp

The foam is supposed to help with rigidity it expands like cavity wall insulation foam forced in under pressure and 'cures' over a 72 hour period at which point it goes pretty much solid. It doesn't add much weight to the car but is supposed to stiffen the frame. Conversely, I heard it prevented rust, by keeping air out! But since water itself contains oxygen and metal rusts underwater I guess that wouldn't hold true. I did this with my other car and haven't seen any problems to date. Just make sure you finish any welding before you put it in. I'm not sure if it is flame resistant!

464/2K

yeah paul lets get the show on the road!!

cheekychimp

It's all painfully slow I'm afraid, and with the current posting and loads of overtime it doesn't look like getting better that soon. The POR-15 is here and at the shop so hopefully we'll get the bottom of the car all stripped off (petrol tank, exhaust, driveshaft, rear end and all the lines, transmission, suspension and front rack) and then we can do the whole underside.

After that I've got a nice condition second hand tank I'm going to clean out the inside of with POR-15 "Marine Clean" and "Metal Ready". We'll do the outside and filler neck with POR-15 as well since it's one thing that suffers badly from rust as it sits unprotected in the rear wheel well. Then Al's stainless fuel pump assembly can go in with the new Supra Pump.

We'll put the rear TEL 4-bolt in (no more 4WS lines) with the Power Steering Rack from a FWD Galant and do the suspension, brakes, new rotors (and hats) and rims. Then I can run the 6-AN fuel line, braided hose for the water/meth injection and copper pipes for the propane. I'm not connecting any injection stuff up yet but I'll run all the lines and cap off the ends to save down time later on.

Tranny will go in with the new engine, driveshaft, turbo, intercooler etc. I'm still waiting on some oil system stuff from Andre, but I know he's badly snowed under with work now. I need to give him a call though because if I can get the battery charging stuff, oil system and FIAV from him I can actually get this car running pretty much.

The computer stuff is on hold because of the screen still. I need to get in touch with Josh and see if there are any developments there. Other stuff is mainly cosmetic and can be fitted later. Wiring will be a nightmare so I'll probably run with a gutted interior and dash until the stereo and computer stuff is all done and then refit all the other panels.

It's a work in progress ... what can I say. Stuff will start moving once the underbody is finished.

curtis

Quote:
so whats new with the car?

Well Paul updated on his end and here's what he has that needs to be shipped from here.

This is one of the stacks. Also he got a toy today but it was broken but here's a few shots of it anyway. Just because the box says something doesn't mean thats whats in it. He has a complete inventory in his head and on paper. I can't wait to fly over and get a ride.

Last edited:

V8EATER

I'm sure you want a new one, but we have tons of cop cars at work. I can get you some used ones for free if you want.
Andy

curtis

I'll respond for Paul. Yes send some.

He told me he couldn't mark his personal car as a police car but this is border line cheating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've been watching the junkyards around here for a couple of years now for him but none have shown up and I thought they weren't available new.

Last edited:

^ Magic 8-ball says "Don't bet on it" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

Quote:
so how would one plumb in the hydraulic e-brake?

You run the line to a solenoid that opens the valve for the pneumatic system that powers the passenger side eject seat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

cheekychimp

Quote:
so how would one plumb in the hydraulic e-brake?

The same way you would plumb the foot brakes basically. The ratchet on the handbrake still works but the 'spindle' on the handle is reversed so that pulling the brake depresses a plunger rather than pulling a wire.

With the ratchet holding the handle up hydraulic pressure keeps the pistons against the rotors.

Are you referring to the problem of hydraulic fluid being forced back down the footbrake hydraulic lines?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts