The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

4orced4door

That is awesome that you got everything intact. I wish I knew what it felt like to get an order so large you can't find the clutch.

curtis

So Whats the plan of attack.
Interior, suspension and brakes, power train , then paint?
Is the cage done.

We need a time line on stuff man. And go buy some batteries for your Camera .
We need photo documentation now!

number3

One of the nice thing about my shields is that they ship well... I am glad all went well Paul and Alex and thank you for your support.

cheekychimp

Hell yeah Harry, sorry my man your stuff arrived as well. Gotta laugh, the mechanic asked what the hell is it. I guess they don't build anything that needs one of those over here. Thanks for the T-shirt and stickers too ... it was a nice touch.

Paul, you should have seen it seriously !!! I don't want to sound like a bighead because actually I think most people on here have pretty much all the same stuff on their cars, minus the custom headlights and some of the electronics stuff. It's just that most people do it gradually. It was like half the boxes we opened and we were like "Oh Hell Yeah, I'd forgotten about THIS !!!"

Alex, yeah everything seems hunky dorey so far. I think we are missing bushings for the sway bars and there's an issue with the BOV flange (well lack of it !!!) on the UICP but Jesse is working with me on that as we speak.

There are still some things that have to be worked out. We need to check the rims and make sure 380 mm discs will fit before we get those. I'm going to just spray the vinyl on the dash black for now. I can't be bothered shipping it to get it flocked. I'll get the pillars, dash under panels and console flocked first and then just raid the junkyards in the UK later and hire a van to take a GTi dash to the flocking place later. Or get Mike to make me a CF one ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alex, I'll PM you later, I didn't see that AP master cylinder and I need to figure out how to make the handbrake hydraulic. You told me but I've forgotten what I need to do it. John Teet had a nice bolt in conversion, but as he reminded me before I nearly bought it, it is for a LHD ... duh !!!

All in all though, the stuff is better than I hoped. I was up until 3 am playing with screens USB devices and checking how I am going to mount the stuff. I'll get some RAM for the mini-computer and show how the interface works with some screen shots and stuff a bit later.

Paul.

cheekychimp

Yeah ...

Bad Guy Dentsport Garage (aka Bimmubishi)

So here's the deal, I'm sitting here minus a Kidney and one nut and in serious debt waiting for all the parts Alex bought for me with the money I sent him. So today I pick up the crates to find a bill for the last Dentsport Garage BBQ stripper crew, some shares in a local brewery and a note that says "thanks sucker!"

Reply 1

Paul this is Bill from DSG. Tried to speak to Al about your order but he's hanging 'lifeless' from the wall perforated with Ninja Stars with a note on the desk that says "Hong Kong VR4 preservation society"

Reply 2

"That's No Excuse !!!"

curtis

No Paul is like Jackie Chan in the movie "Who Am I" sliding on the side of his VR4 instead of an EVO. I need to watch that movie again Pajaro's rock I want one so bad.

cheekychimp

Okay Dudes these are the last pictures you'll be getting for a while, assuming I don't get killed at the World Trade Organization's 6th Ministerial Conference (MC6) next week, in which case you'll NEVER get any more !!!

Had a bit of a play this evening ... this is what I got

Intercooler kit 23 X9 X 3 with 2.5" hot side and 3" cold side pipes

JAM Billet Throttle Body ... it's a little over 3" (80mm) ... that coupler was a bitch to get on there !!!

COP setup on phenolic resin. This thing just isn't photogenic but it is awesome in the flesh. It looks like a kevlar carbon composite (you can get a slight impression from the last picture - the coils are out of focus but you can see the texture of the material);

The in dash screen, it's nothing fancy because it is not predominantly for posing. It has a VGA input and will be connected mainly to the mini-itx computer for 24/7 hardwired access to DSMLink for tuning and logging.

This is an awful photo and yes it is upside down but it was the only way I could find to give some indication of how Curtis' lights and Paulo's grille will look together.

Iceman's 3G MAS ... not quite sure how it'll fit with this

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... eventually we'll be using the above intake and this in blow through

Just waiting for native support from DSMLink

Another lousy picture. I need to mount these gauges on a piece of black plastic plate but hopefully you can see how these fit well in the GGSX Suspension pod. The twin SPA digital displays give 4 readouts and because they are centred, nothing is lost at the top and bottom as can happen with analog gauges.

More to come ...

Nice pics! You should have wifi in your car so when she starts spewing oil or something on the highway, you have instant access to the board as shown in your pic!

-Josh

cheekychimp

Josh,

The current mini-itx board has a modified windows 98 OS with a very small footprint to give a quick boot up. As such I think most browsing and network functions are disabled.

I am seriously thinking about getting a mini mac to do that sort of stuff though. If you use Onspeed compression software and a 56K modem the speed is pretty acceptable for looking at the board and in Hong Kong a GSM coverage is like 98%.

curtis

Paul I had a thought about the phenolic spacer. I'll see if I can find it from eastwood or aircraft spruce but a clear like polyurethane will bling it out. It has to be able to stand up to constant heat, oil, etc.

this car is going to be so sick, that is awesome I love seeing parts/build pics.

cant wait to see more!

Ben

Damn! I haven't read this thread in months. Glad to see things are moving along. Thumbs up to the guys for coordinating all this stuff across the globe. Can't wait to see it all come together. Why the hell is Curtis holding out on those headlights for anyway?

Romanova

Paul
Uh... how about a picture of the car that all these parts are going into? You keep teasing us with these parts but I don't think I've ever seen your car.

curtis

Quote:
I want a set of those damn headlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Guys I'm not holding out on anything I've had more than a dozen people PM me about building them a set. It all comes down to cost. I have one board member now that wants a set and is sending me a set of JDM's with city lights and 93 to put the 93 lens on. Along with two sets of the big high beams like Paul's but want have strobes but extra fogs. I've just saw that the 93 lens want fit JDms but I'll have to see.

Anyway what it takes.
1. 1 set of 89-92 backplates
2. 1 set of 93 lens
3. 1 set of fogs for the high beams
4. 1 set of fogs for the low.
5. A desision to be made on what type of bulbs, paint color (exterior and interior), bolts, hardware, sealant and time.

I build things for people almost every week. I just finish school and haven't really did anything but stuff in the garage. I'm going to have to get a job or buy some equipment and go into business for myself. Va footed the bill due to my disablity and are on my ass but I didn't swear an oath with them. I have a BS in Engineering Technology with a consentration in Manufacturing and another consentration in Robotics. I've talked to the people at Disney in Florida but its about a 6 month ordeal which will put it starting in the summer when my daughter is out of school. It all comes down to leaving my comfort zone and I like my house but hate this town and also the small amount that employers pay engineer types here. My neighbor was making in the 30's and was constantly getting layed off but now works at steak and shake and makes almost 65 as a manager what gives?

If anyone wants a set of lights I have time I just don't have the supplies. 89-92 backplates I can get but 93's are hard to come by. Also fogs are of your selection BUT I want build them identical to mine or Paul's, Mine because there a PITA to mount the assembles, and to cut the lens down and Paul's because I gave him my word that I wouldn't build a set for anyone else that looks like his. Custom is Custom and I don't blame him and I am a man of my word which is kind of rare now days but thats the way it is.

If any of you want a set built I need the 89-92's , 93 lens and 2 sets of sometype of fog lights along with 250 including shipping (if you use a credit card add 3% paypal nazi charge) back to you I supply all hardware, sealants, and paint. This way it is cheaper on everybody and I don't have to run all over middle TN looking for parts. Gas is expensive along with the wasted days of running all over getting the stuff. I have probably 100 hours in just PM's back in forth to Paul about his lights and COP but it was worth it.

I can build a set in about a week. It's time consuming and alot of things have to be taken into account. Lens placement and mounting, modifications to the fogs, aiming, focal points, cleaning, prep, paint, dry time, and my favorite thing scraping all the old glue off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I treat things I build like there going on my car so don't worry about me doing it half ass. I learned that from being an ARMY aircraft crewchief and civilian fixed wing mechanic. People die when things are not perfect.

Ebay is your best friend when it comes to fog lights and design ideas also one of the guys that asked about a set linked me to susquehania motorsports (spelling?) which sell rally stuff and projectors. Play around on ebay with all the different brands and words like projector, I hate to say it but honda lights, and hid's.

If any of you want a set built get me the stuff and send it when I'm done I'll send pictures and expect to be payed then by paypal or by money order but paypal is quicker and they'll take your credit card. I don't like to be screwed with when it comes to stuff. It's just like selling parts on the board If you want them buy them but don't kick tires and waste my time, I type slow and could be doing other things instead, like reading posts here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Curtis

One more thing the first white car owner that contacts me be forwarned I want to do a set in gloss white.

Last edited:

curtis

7500 hits insane. This thing better be built before it hits 10000 or we're coming over to whip your arse and collect your toys.

Sure your not just sitting and opening and closing this thread to build up the numbers. I beleave this would fall at least 3 knocks higher than Post whoring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

quasimondo

What's going on with this project? Haven't heard about it in a while.

cheekychimp

Seam welding is in progress. It's been a bit slow recently. It has been bad timing. We hit Xmas not long after the delivery and then Chinese New Year literally weeks after that. Some businesses close up for three weeks at Chinese New Year so as you can imagine it can put a damper on things.

We also had some setbacks. Paulo's second trunk got roughed up again on the way to Curtis for some fabrication. You wouldn't believe the state it was in when it arrived and Paulo put this one in a crate. We decided that perhaps under the circumstances this isn't a good idea. These things evidently don't travel well and it has a hell of a long way to come to reach Hong Kong. So I'll probably have to get the trunk made locally but that has left us with the problem of how to fabricate some of the rear end goodies without a trunk. Like I said ... setbacks.

The computer stuff is getting there. The cage is due for transplanting next week, which will be a big leap forward. On board solid state video recorder should be ready in early February and the on board cameras (all three) are already in my hands.

The 'sample' interior panel came back from the UK last week after being flocked by the guys who kit out the Ford WRC cars. It looks awesome, so I'm sending off the rest of the interior to get done next week. Centre console, glove box, steering column surround, kick panels, A,B and C pillars, trim pieces etc. It's not cheap but it looks damn good. You can see pics in the "My dashboard is really annoying me" thread.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts