The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The latest on 524/1000 build

524of1000

SO, I've been the proud owner of 524 for over a year now and am finally getting close to having her run. I was hoping to have her running (at least to move in and out of the garage) by our 1 year aniversary, but the cometic head gasket that I had installed sucked. It was leaking coolant from the head without the engine even running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Whatever, Swapped it out with and OEM gasket. Fix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif got everything back together, all I need to do is prime the fuel system. Cake. I hooked the jumper cables up to my escape, connect to galant, turn key in galant to accessory... and smoke pours from my alternator. f***. So I ran to get my extinguisher (at the back of the car) and when I got to the front, My jumper cables were on fire! WTF! So I disconnected them very quickly, put out what fire was left and now I wonder what the hell happened? I didn't mess with any electronics or cables except the fuel pump wich was done wire by wire. Any ideas? Maybe too much amperage from the escape to the galant? crossed wire? Fuses looked good... I dont even know where to begin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fivestardsm

It sounds like you had the cables on the wrong post of the battery. Either that or you have a serious direct short. I would check the wires that attach to the battery post and make sure you did not put a positive on the ground terminal, or a neg on the positive terminal.

524of1000

oh I'm pretty positive( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) they were connected right Plus goes to plus, Minus to minus lol

ScreaminE

Sweet, I test drove that car about three days before you bought it (I was living in Austin at the time). It was in pretty decent condition but the 14b was SHOT. The owner's Dad had no idea the car should have been boosting. I had to pass at the time because I went out to El Paso for work for a few months then transferred to Pittsburgh.

Glad to see you're showing it TLC. Did you hook up the jumper cables to the right terminals?

Also, it's going to run like poo poo with that BOV vented.

fivestardsm

That wasnt aimed at you to have meant any offense, it is just an easy mistake. I have done it before myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As for making sure that all the wires are on the terminals correct, did you check them? It is a fairly easy mistake to get one of them crossed up if you had all the cable ends off from the terminal studs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

524of1000

Absolutly no offense taken friend, that was my lame attempt at a pun. BUT I did figure it out. I had the wires crossed on the galant (dumbass = me) So I will try again tomorrow.

524of1000

Quoting ScreaminE:
Sweet, I test drove that car about three days before you bought it (I was living in Austin at the time). It was in pretty decent condition but the 14b was SHOT. The owner's Dad had no idea the car should have been boosting. I had to pass at the time because I went out to El Paso for work for a few months then transferred to Pittsburgh.

Glad to see you're showing it TLC. Did you hook up the jumper cables to the right terminals?

Also, it's going to run like poo poo with that BOV vented.

Yeah, the turbo was destroyed.I told the guys dad the same thing, but he was stuck on the price so I figured I'd replace the turbo and be done. It ate a peice of the intake pipe and I found the chunks in the ic before I swapped it, but It wasnt a 14b, it was a small 16g so I rebuilt it. Thats cool that you test drove it! I wish I knew more history on her, but I'm making my own stories with it now. I dont plan on keeping the BOV venting to atmosphere, I just need to rig up a pipe to recirculate it. Right now I'll be happy just to get the motor to start. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Crossed member? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Thats worse than newbie.

524of1000

nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Polish

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

This thread wins.

129060543649632719.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned