The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Changed Knock Sensor, now car wont start

kindawg

So I changed my knock sensor yesterday, I changed it from the passanger side. on top of the car.

I took the car to the movies and it was fine, and it started when I took it home. I left it outside overnight, it was cold, maybe in the 10's-20's and the car wouldnt start.

All the lights work, when I go to start the car, the Fuel pump kicks on, and the car has power. but the starter wont turn at all.

Heres the strange part. I put jumper cables on the car(from another car obviously) and The car started right up no problems. But it wont start without them, even after I drove it home for 15 mins.

Then I got a battery charger that u plug into the wall. It said that the battery was at 75% when it started charging, then i let it on overnight. It said 100% in the morning and it still wont start, everything works but the starter wont move.

Could I have bumped something in that area that is causing the car not to start, im just baffled that it will start with jumper cables on it but not a battery thats at 100%.

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

AnotherNewb

From the passenger side of the car it would have been easy to bump the wires on the starter. Make sure the tigger wire, black with a yellow tracer I believe, and the power supply cable are still firmly attached to the starter.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Take a few moments and completely clean the battery terminals, including each connection in the stack on the positive terminal. Scrub them with a wire brush untill they are completely shiny, then re-install.

Be sure to clean the posts on the battery as well the ground point on the firewall and transmission.

Disconnect the negative terminal first, leave it off while you work on the positive side, and reinstall the ground terminal to the battery last.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

I'd say the two are completely unrelated. You can get your battery tested, but my brother a few weeks ago had a bad battery test good at autozone. I don't think they knew what they were doing. The battery did have to be replaced. You can find a real store to test it under load, but it sounds like it doesn't have enough cold cranking amps to turn your starter.

Make sure all the connections are clean as already suggested, but if they have white stuff all over them, that is a sign on a leaking battery.

desant78

Quoting toybreaker:
Take a few moments and completely clean the battery terminals, including each connection in the stack on the positive terminal. Scrub them with a wire brush untill they are completely shiny, then re-install.

Be sure to clean the posts on the battery as well the ground point on the firewall and transmission.

Disconnect the negative terminal first, leave it off while you work on the positive side, and reinstall the ground terminal to the battery last.

+1 I had a Camry with a similar issue, ended up being dirty terminals.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned