The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The I hope to make "Turboren" proud build thrend.

citymunky

The rebuild throttle body is installed, I still didn't get a chance to do a boost leak check yet.

So, now back to my no reverse issue. I adjusted the cable that was installed and I still couldn't get into reverse. I ended up swapping to the cables that were originally in the car since both the left and right cables allowed for adjustments. The adjustments didn't help, when I think I'm in reverse I'm really in 4th and the car moves forward instead of back.

I did a quick search and I found some threads.
click
click

I followed both, and I still have this issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

citymunky

Well with the car off, I was able to get the car in reverse and start her up, the car started moving backwards. So I have adjustment issue somewhere.

I can't slide this end of my cable on when the transmission is in reverse. I need to figure out way. BTW I did check that I have right bracket installed.

Last edited:

citymunky

I seem to have fixed it, while I was checking to see if the white plastic box was worn, I noticed there was a ton of play in the gear selector arm. I swapped the whole braket/arm from my 22 spline transmission and I'm able to get into reverse now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

citymunky

click she purrs.

Took it for a drive up the block after recording that. The car feels jerky, I have a rattle coming from somewhere. After I got back in the garage I checked for leaks and found a few coolant leaks.

I need to get the car on jack stands and run though all the gears and see if I can find that rattle and check for leaks under the car.

citymunky

I put the interior back together last night along with the stock headunit, 1989 Under dash trim, 1g leather shift boot and a 2g weighted shift knob. Now the interior looks complete. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Today I put the car on jack stands, ans this is what I found:

-Started the car and ran it up. I'm getting a very bad vibration/wobble that changes as I climbed the RPM range. Something is not balanced or installed correctly.
-Found that there is exhaust fumes coming from the flex pipe in my downpipe. The best part..... there is no damage to my downpipe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.
-I also found oil leaking from the CRHA, so I need to swap turbo's...again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

desant78

Damn, I guess it's definitely a 20 year old car!

I've had the same issue with the DP, and my guess is that the braided metal holds in moisture with starts to eat at the flex part. If you want a new flex part welded in and don't know anyone local, hit me up!

good luck!

citymunky

That's a good explanation, but I bought this downpipe in 2011 and has been sitting around the garage most of the time. I need to see if I can find a new 3" section.

desant78

I'd check rockauto or ebay. should be a pretty straight forward repair, good luck!

citymunky

^ I'll keep that in mind, I have another downpipe sitting in my garage for my FP turbo, so that not worried about it. I just want this car road ready so I can built the other motor and redo both spare subframes in prep of doing a 5 lug swap and 3000GT trailing arms, etc.

Here is a update of what I did yesterday. I swapped turbo's back to the MHI small 16g since the other turbo started to leak out of the CRHA. I took #733 for drive up the block last night, and I still have some issues to figure out.

1) The car still feels jerky as I build up speed (25mph or so). It feels like it wants to go, then it's held back for second, then it goes again, and repeat. I'm going to a boost leaks test again.

2) I getting a weird rattling (like 3 fast taps within a second, then nothing, than 3 fast taps) sound as I slow down and make a u-turn. I never heard a car make this sound ever in my life, very hard to describe.

transparentdsm

1: what are you doing for tuning? you got link? i had some what of the same issue and it ended up being my fuel table not being smooth in that RPM/load range. ive also see it with to much and to little fuel pressure, so maybe check out the FPR.

2: check all your steering components, inner and outer tie rods. sounds like when yuor coming to a stop the inner rod is coming loose and tighhtening back up, the fast 3 taps is it trying to reseat its self.

citymunky

Well I been super busy lately, but I removed the custom intercooler setup and did a test fit of the ETS intercooler and piping. The reason for the switch was to make room behind the bumper for foglights.

I also had to pick up a new BOV since the ETS pipe was flanges of a Tial, I picked up a new Tial Q.

This pic was the before.
Quoting citymunky:

I know my engine bay looks like a rat nest and full of short cuts but this keeps the car mobile until I can drop the new setup in.

citymunky

Just picked up this beauty today.
New (NOS) Jack's Transmission 2.2HD with a welded center diff. 0 miles and has been sitting for a while.

citymunky

Torn the engine down, and improving some things while I was in there and preparing the block for the machine shop.

citymunky

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

citymunky

Dropped off the block to the machine shop yesterday, and I'm currently at a stand still with my head until I get my hands on valve spring compressor. So I started taking a part my spare front DSM subframe so I can clean her up in the meantime. For a reference point this is what I'm starting with.

New ES bushings and ball joints are on order for now and I'm looking into replacing that steering rack. It's showing signs of leaking, the inner tie rods are trash and both boots are torn.

Last edited:

citymunky

Started to powder coat the smaller parts from the front subframe.

Last edited:

citymunky

Front Subframe rust free, cleaned and painted.

citymunky

Well here I am again, out of time and out of patience. In the beginning of the month I posted this click . Since than I rebuild my small 16G turbo, had it balanced locally, installed it and I still have a smoking issue. I suspect the valve stem seals are done, however the only want to find out is to replace them. It's a cheap fix, however knowing the amount of time I have it would have me 2 months before I get around to fixing it. Than on to the next issue and so on and on and before I know it the car would be in the garage next winter.

I was in the middle on building my other short block so I can drop it in when it was done, but recently my Titan was totaled by a drunk driver and I been dealing with the issue for the last 2 weeks. Found a few suitable replacement SUV's to take it's place however I keep wasting by time with people who "Loss" the title or still have a lien on their vehicle, and I ended buying a mid-sized SUV this past weekend to hold me over instead of buying the Full-sized SUV like I wanted. If this would have never happened I would own Hittman's old car 747/1000 (https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=UBB12&Number=1188614&page=0&fpart=1 ), since that popped up for sale right before my truck was totaled and sold right after I called BS and stopped dealing with scammer trying to sell me a SUV without a Title. This it twice I missed out on a high dollar GVR-4, the first was BluFalcon's KG 521/1K.

So, I'm going to cut my losses and move on. Maybe I'll be back the rest of them........

To Ren, sorry I failed you buddy.

/end.

citymunky

733/2000 off to NYC for its new owner.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned