The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

The I hope to make "Turboren" proud build thrend.

transparentdsm

car looks great and it seems like your moving along rather fast with this one. congrats and i can't wait till you get it running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

citymunky

Thanks, I just want to a car on the road. I hate being a "car guy" without a real car. I hate showing up to local car meets or cars and coffee in a Nissan Titan! Don't get me right wrong, I love my truck and I can embarrass some unsuspecting "car guys" in it (Like that one time when few of my friends in a E30 M3, 911 and FR-S tried to lose in the back roads of VA beach), but it's not my true love. I need a turbo in my life!

Looking back at my for sale tread for 923/2000, click has been 3 years and 4 mouths since I last been behind a wheel of a turbo'ed car. So yes I want to get this thing on the road ASAP.

Last edited:

citymunky

I was able to reinstall the Fidanza flywheel that came with 733. For the clutch I install the ACT 2100 instead of the ACT unspung 6 puck that was originally on the car. It later took me 2 hours of fighting with the tranny before I could get her bolted up.

I was having trouble with tranny hitting the subframe, I was only able to get it after undoing the front and rear engine mounts. After that it was a piece of cake.

citymunky

Not much progress since it's been super cold that last few weeks and the last place I want to be is in the garage. I do have a parts update, I picked a FP3052 with Tial MV-R 44mm wastegate and 3" V-Band downpipe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I plan to put down some a decent numbers with this setup with on E85.

img_0812-jpg.238504

citymunky

Thanks, I'm really stoked about this turbo setup, I got it for a steal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

citymunky

More parts.

FP intake with K&N Filter to match the FP turbo.

I also got a little bit of Supra for the Gaylant. My current AFPR has a electric presure sensor, but I don't the gauge to display the reading. So that was the only black face Fuel Pressure gauge I could find.

Last edited:

citymunky

Picked up some new rims for the old girl this weekend for a killer deal.

I was offered the stock EVO 8 rims when I picked up a set of 1600cc injectors for a local EVO guy for the facebook page, he old girl was bitching about all the parts in his house. I told him, EVO 8 stockers are not my favorites but for the price I'll think about it.

The next day, he posted up a RPF1s, 17x9 +45 offset for more than fair price, I PM him asking if he is selling both sets of rims or just one set so he can keep the car a driver. He told me he wanted to keep a set, I told him I wanted BOTH sets. Next thing you know his EVO is JSB is his buddy's driveway and I'm driving away with a set of light weight quality rims and a set of rims for winter/backup.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Win, win in my book, now I guess I'm going through with my 5 lug swap. I wanted to find set of 4 lugs rims, it is so hard to find a quality set of rims in 4x114.3.

In other news I done some work to the car today and I'm very close on getting her ready to turn her over for the first time in over 10 years. For the time being I give up on getting the car perfect, I realized I will never get nowhere. I hope to have this car on this car on the road soon running a stock setup for now and build the other motor on the side.

citymunky

I hate how dirty/rusty she looks under the bay, but I'm almost ready to start her up.

citymunky

Quick update, I installed a stock EVO 9 fuel pump and I was able to get her started for the 1st time in over 10 years!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif On a different note the A/C blows colder air than my new cars.

The car still needs some work to be road ready, but at least she runs!

My current setup is as follows:

-Stock Long Block
-2G Exhaust Manifold
-Small 16g
-450cc injectors (just for break in)
-Aeromotive AFPR
-Custom Intercooler setup
-ECMLink V3 full

Everything seems to be working fine, beside the DTC 0012 Check engine light I have.

Things I still need to do:

-Fix driver's side front sub-frame mounting stud treads (Tip and Die kit work)
-Wire in stock fan, I used the stock fan jumper harness to the my FAL fan and I don't want to use the FAL fan until the other motor is done.
-Bleed clutch slave cyclinder
-Check Tranny, transfer case, and diff fuilds
-Fix small leak from turbo oil return pipe where the flange meets the oil pan
-Install carpet and interior trim
-Bleed brakes (and hope they are not seized!)
-Fix fuel pump wire ( it was cut 1/8" in front of the connector")
-Fix the one ECU wire.

clevr4

glad to see things going well. Nice to see a VA gvr4 owner!

Jesus_Negros

Nice work, keep it up. I'll be back home in August hopefully I can come by and check her out.

citymunky

So I repinned and fixed the fuel pump wire, and ecu wire. I installed the interior and the trunk carpet and trim.

I also cleaned out the HVAC motor, that sh*t was gross and smelled like death.

I must have removed a trash bag full of that sh*t from under the wiper cowl.

Now to the rant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The Damn brakes are rusted to sh*t, the damn emergency brake cables and the calipers are now jointed as one.

sh*t makes me want to drop the rear subframe assy and swap over the 3000GT trailing arms but if I do that, than I'm going to want to take a part the whole subframe and remove all the rust, paint, install the upper adjustable camber arms (which need to be powder coated) and the rear Brembo's (which need powder coat or paint). To add to the top of that I need new rotors and pads for the brembo's including the parking brake pads, and 3000GT parking brake cables. I'm also going to want to install the active rear toe delete, which means pulling all the 4WS stuff and installing a DSM power steering rack.

If I do all of that, it's going to at least add month or two more JSB. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

citymunky

Well I guess it's that time for a update.

I fixed the following issues:

-Fixed driver's side front sub-frame mounting stud treads.
-Installed carpet and most of the interior trim
-Bled clutch slave cylinder.
-Check and filled Tranny, transfer case, and diff fuilds
-Repined fuel pump wire ( it was cut 1/8" in front of the connector")
-Fixed the cut ECU wire.
-I was able to swap my rear stock brakes for a set I have on my 1g rear trailing arms, it was no easy task. I was about to cut the emergency brake cables to swap the calipers, then I realized I can just swap the little "L" brackets that support the cable and be good, so I did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
-The next thing on the list was to bleed the clutch, it was a pain until I swapped over to the longer bleeder screw I had in the 1g. I did notice I have like 3" of dead play in my clutch pedal before I have any engagement. (Yes I looked up Jack's clutch adjustment video, more that later)

I still need to fix the following issues:
-I still need to wire in stock fan or just install the FAL fan. I don't have a spare fan jumper harness, and I'm not going undo the harness I made for the FAL.
-Fix small leak from turbo oil return pipe, the leak is coming from a small crack where the tube meets the flange, will fix during the oil change after I break in the engine.

Well after fixing most of my issues, it was time to plug in ECMlink and try starting her up. With that being said I discovered more problems.

1) The car has a ready tough time cold starting, it wouldn't catch unless I use starting fluid. However once the car is warmed up it starts with no problems.
2) The car has idle surge, we tried to swap ICS's however the ones I had in my spare NT TB are different. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif and will not fit. I will troubleshoot that later.
3) The car would rev pass 3,000 RPM's. I was told to check the launch limit setting in ECMlink. I was set to 3,500 RPM's. I raised the limit however I haven't checked if it fixed this problem.
4) I can't shift the car into gear without grinding, I think my pedal Assy is worn out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
5) I have a belt squeal from hell.
6) The shifter felt very sloppy with tons of free play, it was hard to tell if I was in gear or not. It turned out plastic bushing for the shifter rod were not installed. Installed new OEM bushings, problem fix.

Last edited:

citymunky

Short Video of the car running->> 1991 Galant VR-4 1st start up in 10 Years.

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Nice work, keep it up. I'll be back home in August hopefully I can come by and check her out.

Hopefully It will be on the road by then.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Keep up the good work.

citymunky

Thanks, between work, family I'll only get one day of the week to work on her. I'm trying to driving by next Cars and Coffee meet, next Saturday.

citymunky

It still needs some loving in the surface rust department. Also I have a few more surprises I have yet to post. I just can't wait to get her of of the garage so I can start powder coating say surprises.

The meet I'm talking about is the Monthly Cars and Coffee meet in VA beach. The big show/meet you miss out on was Sumospeed's Sping FEST 2015. (Just search YouTube).

My goal is be done with everything by next year for the Show.

Last edited:

citymunky

I think I found my sloppy clutch problem. This is the clutch fluid lever, and it's almost rounded out. Also the bushing for the pivot pin that connects to the clutch master cylinder was all worn out. An order has been placed at JNZ, I hope to get the parts in by the weekend.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned